• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ft-897 Question

89gta

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 6, 2009
I have an FT-897 and am using the LDG Z-100 tuner. I want to power the tuner from the CAT/Linear jack
on the back of the radio and have converted a spare DIN cable to have the 2.5 x 5.5 DC plug on the
other end. I've connected into the 13.8 volt & ground connections for the DC plug but when I try to power
the tuner it doesn't appear to work properly, like it can't tune...it's getting power.
Is there some menu setting or something I'm missing here? I really want to power the tuner directly from
the rig so I don't have to use an external 12v power supply.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
N6RDC

I don't know the answer because I'm not very familiar with that tuner. I do have the LDG AT-897 tuner which does work exactly like what you're trying to do. For that tuner, you have to set the 897 menu #20 to CAT to get it to work. Did you try that?

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that setting although CAT looks to be the default setting. It seemed to me that all I needed was a 12 volt power and a ground, these were the only pins I used on my homebrew plug.
I had gotten the idea of homebrewing a Aux power plug from something I saw on the W4RT site, they used to sell one that did what I want but it's now discontinued. I thought it would be a snap to make one but maybe there's something I'm missing...
I've seen that there's a way to power the tuner with internal batteries but I had hoped for a simple plug instead....I'll keep checking...

I have the LDG YT-100 tuner and it is powered from the CAT, not sure what the difference is. Mine is connected to a FT-857D and works Great..

Craig

FT-897 Ant Tuner Power

I have an FT-897d with the LDG AT-200Pro. The tuner, in my case, is powered by tapping the harness to the 897 from the internal power supply installed in the rig. My menu # 20 is set to CAT. All works great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.