• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ft991A worth the wait

On a waiting list for one ( my first) and wondering if its worth the wait.

I just got my Tech

In my opinion NO.I have had worse than Terrible service from Yaesu radios.I would not even own ANY of them even for FREE because of their Terrible performance.I have become a BIG Fan of ICOM & I will never go back at any price.Yaesu should stick to making Rotors.I feel bad for anyone using any model of Yaesu & that's my Honest Opinion & I know others have their own opinions that don't agree with mine.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: sp5it
I don't know about the 991, but I've run many 757GX and GXII radios over the years with no issues at all. My current radio is the 990 that I run with the M-1 reference mic. I am complimented constantly on the awesome audio. The radio never gives any glitches or issues of any kind. Things may have changed with the new stuff, but I am a vintage Yaesu fanatic.

Reactions: Wlofton
I have been quite impressed with the 891 for the money outlay. The RX pretty much keeps up with the ICOM... ok yes it sounds a little rougher.. as in the hiss on an empty band in a S0 (and below) noise floor is sounding a bit rougher on the ear, and there is a bit more of it but somehow the signals even weak pop through ok.. probably the difference between analogue+ some dig and pure sampled band SDR. 7300 is a bit more hi fi (crisp we can say) but then again the bleed from adjacent stations is also very crisp to the point where it kills DX stations off at times.

The 7300 filters are harsh, they make the audio whistle fast and so when I use them the sound is so bad by the time you have significant rejection the RX audio receives no benefit that just staying on Filter 1. (SOFT) sometimes I get used to setting 2 if I start a radio session with it on.

I use both on the same large external speaker.

Certainly the 891 is good so far.. the 991A is a different radio of course.. I have not yet had to use Yaesu or Icom for service.... let's hope that remains the case for a good few years to come.

Both radios will work well enough but different RX audio traits. If anything I get more frequent especially positive audio reports from the Yaesu and it is almost 1/2 the price. Though having a fully paramteric EQ built in really helps with that to tailor it precisely as you want to.

It is high time the 7300 had more powerful TX audio EQ options - next software update ? 891 running rings around the 7300 in some areas.

Last edited:
Lets see, started with FT221, then FT 225 RD, then FT757 GX2, FT 847 with Collins filters, FT 100, FT2000-D, Ft 991A, no problems.
Every brand had their lemons, service here is good Yaesy repair shop 40 miles from me.
Perfect sevice so I'm good with them.
3 year warranty on the FT991A.
Though no other of my transceivers ever neded that in fact im running the fT847 that is 23 years old now at this moment.

Yaesu radios are as good.as any, the 101zdmkIII I run still works great. That being said though I am not a fan of the "Shack in a box" rigs. My thought is if it dies you lose all the bands unless.you have backup rigs.

Reactions: BJ radionut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.