• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM-350 Problems

KC0TAG

Jul 30, 2010
Golden Vally, MN
I have a 350 upgraded to version 1.1 mobile with gps..

This is what I have found does not work on my radio:

1. Can not break 500 memories in to groups. (Biggest reason I am sorry I bought this radio).

2. Bad audio. I am currently using a amplified radioshack speaker.
I have tried different speakers ( Motorola 4 & 8 Ohm ), have it at 12 o’clock, barely readable, if I go to 1 or 2 o’clock distorts. AF differential cuts off 1st part of receive and does not help much. Will play with AF Tone Control some more.

3. On page 2 (Timer Page Operation) the average speed and maximum speed display but never above zero.
4. You can send via APRS barometric pressure in four different formats but you only get mb on radio.

If you have version 1 do you have different results?

I had hoped to replace my 8800 with the 350, for the time being I have both in the truck but guess which one may go.

Steve
KC0TAG

FTM-350

Sorry you're not happy with your radio, but I wouldn;t say it's a "problem" that you can't break the memories in to groups...it is a feature we would like to have. I knew this when I bought mine...do I wish it had them? Yeah, I do. For now I am getting along with the 'Not skipped, skipped and selected' and changing scan methods between all and selected.

As for the audio, I don't have that issue...I am using a NON_amplified speaker on the passenger floor pointing upwards. No EQ setting. I need to turn volume to 2 O'clock or 2 O'clock but it is quite clear. May be your radio has an issue in that regard....have you tried a NON-amplified speaker? (The speaker in the head is not very good.)

I'll have to look at the speed on mine- I believe it works. As for MB, I didn't know you could even send that data- cool. I'm not sure displaying mb is a 'problem' with the radio per se.

Good luck.

Update

I just got off the phone with Yaesu Tech support. This is the first they heard of the average and max speed reading problem. They had me reset the radio. At factory defaults, still not getting average and max readings. Reloaded my file, still not working. Next step is sending the radio to them.

On the memory groups and audio I just wanted that posted although Yeasu will look at the audio.

I forgot to ask about the barometric pressure, I forgot to ask. In the US at least, the weather service and TV use inHg.

Thanks for your response,

Steve
KC0TAG

1) Memory groups - yep I noted that in my review. It's a glaring omission considering Yaesu has that feature in many other radios

2) Bad Audio - I don't have that problem with mine - sounds like a warranty issue to me.

3) Average / Max speed - I haven't tried that feature yet, but I will now and will report back

4) Barometer display - Good catch. You're right - it does give you the option to include that in your beacon txt in four different formats, but I can't get it to display anything else, either.

3) Average speed - I did a test today using the lap timer set to count up. When I hit stop and then changed the display mode, it showed my average or top speed, depending on what I chose. It worked fine.

I'm using the firmware that was the first set of fixes applied by the factory, NOT the 1.1 release that is on Yaesu's web page.

Resolved Update.

1. I need to live with and work around the no groups issue.

2. Using a amplified Radioshack speaker in an event this last weekend (120 mile Antique Car Run), I heard all traffic fine. Plugging a mono plug in the stereo jack on the back of the radio may have caused the audio problem.

3. Thanks to moleeculo for checking the max and average speed display. In the manual it does not say the timers need to be running (but that makes sense).

4. May be Yaesu will change the firmware so we can display the barometric pressure in the format we would like on the radio.

Thanks to all for your input. I am liking this radio more each day.

Steve
KC0TAG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.