• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM-350AR simultaneous data in/out?

Motojay61

Mar 20, 2012
Greetings!

I'm new to this, just having passed my first license test, but I've been geeking out in general for a long while (marine, home and car electronics mostly)

I'm looking at an FTM-350AR for my 4x4, and want to be able to simultaneously input external GPS (NMEA 1083 from a marine receiver) to the 350, and output APRS target data to a PC running Overland Navigator, which will accept the standard NMEA waypoint sentence ($GPWPL) for APRS target plotting.

Interestingly, Yaesu tech support couldn't answer the question and is emailing Japan. No answer as yet, and I'm hot to plunk down some cash for my first amateur radio!

Has anyone tried this? Any advice for the new guy would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the Kenwood D710 does this easily, but my aesthetic sense and aging eyes vastly prefer the display on the Yaesu.

Thanks,

Jay
(awaiting callsign)

Question for you: By, "...output APRS target data to a PC..." do you mean the other station's APRS beacons, or do you mean the FTM-350's navigation waypoints?

I mean the other stations' beacons, the lat/lon component of which the software expects to see in the form of an NMEA waypoint sentence. A further question would be whether the 350 adds the callsign to the sentence (which I would expect) and a big bonus would be the voice frequency a given station is tuned to, as I believe the Kenwood d

I'm pretty sure you could accomplish what you're asking to do but you will most likely have to build your own cables. The rig's interface port has pins for serial in and serial out and several people on this site have been successful at interfacing an external GPS to the rig. The APRS data can be sent out to a PC, so that part is fairly straight forward (I use APRSIS when I want to do this). The APRS message does include the QSY info if it was sent as part of the beacon.

Great news! Thanks Moleculo! So the external GPS and APRS out can happen at the same time? Why Yaesu US doesn't know this remains a mystery to me. They are of the impression that it's either/or.

Great news! Thanks Moleculo! So the external GPS and APRS out can happen at the same time? Why Yaesu US doesn't know this remains a mystery to me. They are of the impression that it's either/or.

Keep in mind that I think it will work. I haven't actually tried to do what you asked, but it seems like it should work. Maybe someone else can chime in soon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated