• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FTM350AR Cross Band Repeat

seekfreq

Jan 17, 2011
I have been considering buying this radio and would like to know if you can cross band repeat using the 220mhz band. None of the stores I talk to can tell me, hope someone here can.

George

Yes it can. It can crossband repeat between any of the bands it can TX on. I have done it plenty of times.

Thank you Moleculo, another question, is it possible to set it up for one way repeat, with 220 band in and 144/440 out.

George

Thank you Moleculo, another question, is it possible to set it up for one way repeat, with 220 band in and 144/440 out.

George

When you set up any vhf/uhf rig to crossband repeat, it is going to TX and RX anything heard on either band to the other band. There is no such thing on them as a one way crossband repeat. Now, you could configure the crossband repeater to accomplish something like what you are talking about by using PL or DCS tones on the transmitting band, but it's not perfect. For example, if your crossband repeater was setup with a TONE squelch on the 144 side, it would only repeat anything it heard with that tone transmitted back to it. If you're not expecting to hear anything on the frequency your crossband repeater is transmitting on, this will work fine. However, if someone figures out the tone you have set, they will be able to activate the repeater to transmit back on the 220Mhz side.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but maybe this explanation helps.

I been out of the hobby for 10 years, and have been thinking about getting back into it. I used to have VHF/UHF kenwood mobile and was able to use a Dual band ht to transmit in on the mobile 220 freq. and come out on 144 freq. The mobile radio will receive on the 144 freq, but won't transmit on the 220 freq. The mobile radio had the option to cross band repeat both ways or cross band one way. My buddy hade a Icom that didn't have that option he set his input freq. with a split that was out of transmit range so it couldn't Transmit back, we always used CTCSS.We used the hts as wireless mics.
Can you set the Ftm350 to split on a 220 freq.(out of the transmit range), then set another out put freq. on 144 or 440 & turn on the crossband repeat, will the radio receive 220 and come out on your 144/440 output freq. and not retransmit on the 220 when receiving a signal on 144/440.

Thanks for your help and input.
George

You're talking about Kenwood's proprietary SkyCommand thing. That's not exactly the same as crossband repeating, although it's similar idea. Kenwood still sells rigs that do this (although not with 220, if I remember correctly). Also keep in mind that the FTM-350 supports a bluetooth head set, so that will get you a little range with a wireless mic.

Nothing to do with sky Command, just a function/opton in the KW Triband series of radios that are not MFG anymore.
Blue tooth is a thought, I would still like to know if the 350 will do this:
If you can find time.
Can you put 144.92 on one side & 223.52 with a shift of +1.6 on the other side of the display, put it in cross band repeat mode.
A. transmit another radio on 144.92. tell me what the ftm350 does?
B. transmit another radio on 223.52 tell me if the ftm350 repeat out on 144.92
C. does this work as one way cross band on the FTM350AR?

thanks in advance for your time.

George

Can you put 144.92 on one side & 223.52 with a shift of +1.6 on the other side of the display, put it in cross band repeat mode.

Are you sure that's the shift you want? That will make the 144.92 RX side try to TX out of the ham band on 225.12. Just for kicks, I set it like you asked to see what the rig would do and it just flashed TX ERROR on the 220 side when I turned on crossband repeat.

so the cross band repeat won't turn on at all, just displayed Error.
or did it display error when it tryed to cross band.(transmit on 220 side.)

When you activate the crossband repeat, it just flashes "TX ERROR" on the 220 side the whole time.

One question. Does the FTM-350 crossband repeat fron the left to right side or from right to left? thought I would ask. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks

One question. Does the FTM-350 crossband repeat fron the left to right side or from right to left? thought I would ask. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks

Both ways while enabled...that's what crossband repeat does.

It is impossible to crossband 144 and 223 as FTM-350R uses the same final Rf circuit for both bands. It is the same when we try to crosband putting to both sides 440 Mhz.

It is impossible to crossband 144 and 223 as FTM-350R uses the same final Rf circuit for both bands. It is the same when we try to crosband putting to both sides 440 Mhz.

The whole time I've owned this rig, I've never actually tried this, and only assumed it was possible because the radio will allow you to put it into crossband repeat while on 220 and 144. Today I attempted it and experienced the same result as you.

Good Find.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.