• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FWIW

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Just finished the preliminary set up for powering all the 'extras' I've put in my 'new' car. Been going round-n-round with the local dealer about radios causing the battery to go dead. (Long story, you don't wanna hear it.) That dealer says a second battery could be placed in an HHR, but you have to up-grade the wiring for the 'extra' voltage that second battery would cause. I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm not that stupid either. (That second battery up-grade would cost $1600.00, by the way.) Was also told that a 'booster' was acceptable to Chevrolet, cost was about the same as the 'other' quote. (Any idea what a battery 'booster' consists of? A second battery!)
So, after the second trip back to the dealer for battery warranty work (and they did replace the thing), I decided to do that second battery set-up. I did some research and this is what I came up with.
I got a battery 'Isolator' from 'PowerWerx', and an AGM deep cycle battery. Had the battery installed and power for the radios and computer switched to it in maybe an hour. Nothing is powered directly by the vehicle's electrical system unless the motor is running. Then, the second battery is recharged as it needs it. With the motor off, only the second battery is supplying power to my 'extras'. That 'Isolator' monitors that battery and will shut things down before it is ever discharged completely. Even with the motor running nothing is powered by the vehicle's battery, only the second one.
Took longer to find a battery to 'fit' the slot than to do the installing. Everything is connected with 'PowerPoles', I don't know how it can get any easier than that.
- 'Doc

(You would have to know the local dealer to understand the 'why' for all of this.)

Pictures?
Okay, when it warms up again, and if I don't get any further 'behinder' than I am now. I really do catch up every now and then! Actually, things get so far behind that nobody remembers they're supposed to get done, including me, sort of.
I'm sure that if you take a look at 'PowerWerx' site you could find a picture of that battery isolator. Nothing 'special' about the installation at all really, the only "but" in that was the size of the battery that would 'fit' in the space allotted for it. Parts of the system, as in the connection for the cig-plug type connectors of the various devices power cords will be eliminated (eventually). Right now I don't normally carry passengers so they aren't in the way much. If I really get industrious the cables will be placed under the various floor moldings instead of on top of them in a spot of two. (That will definitely wait till warmer weather!) Making things 'neat' just isn't at the top of the list. I just wanted to get the @#$ thing working for now, and it is.
Sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

(And because I didn't think about it before, I should say that the system if limited to a 40 amp draw at present. That will more than supply things as they are now, maybe not in the future, who knows? You know?)

Pretty cool! Doc is that the hybrid version HHR? Did you see the Braille line of batteries when doing your search? Nice batteries and very lite and small if desired. High reserve cca etc.... but pricey. Ive bought one for my generator under the box truck. I've got it screwed to the floor underneath.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated