• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

G5RV inverted Vee another project :D

Spirittalk

Dec 19, 2006
I have picked up a half G5RV and on Tuesday will be putting it up in an inverted Vee configeration.

I also have the use now of a nice MJF Tuner as the antenna building bug has really gotten hold of me.

Should I trim the atenna to the correct length for 11 meters or leave it for the tuner to do?

I understand that a tuner is only fooling the radio into thinking it has a proper match.

What happens to the signal once matched , is their still a 'real' mis-match once the signal leave the radio via the antenna?

I have also bought a nice Kenwood low pass filter to help protect at least some stray signals from going astray.

The centre feed on the inverted vee will be at around 30 foot.

I have been reading some reviews about the G5RV not working that great on 10 meters and 12 meter bands and trying to make some sort of comparison for the 11 meter band.

Any ideas on how you think it will perform ?

Eddie

A 'G5RV' is only a 'marginal' antenna on anything other than where it was designed for, 20 meters. If it's scaled down to 11 meters it ought to work just fine. If it isn't scaled up/down for the particular band of use, better hope that tuner is in good shape, you'll need it, but don't expect much.
Mr. Varney didn't make, or intend to make, an all band antenna, and has said so. His antenna just by accident does load on other bands, but so will several others. The 'G5RV' mystic is just exactly that, nothing more. (G5RV = Louis Varney)
- 'Doc

The more I experiment the more I find out and failure in antennas making only leads to more information to work with in future projects.

I managed to pick up a nice MFJ tuner in a second hand ham swop meeting localy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.