• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Gainmaster stronger than you you think

NightOwl3261

Jul 24, 2020
Recently installed a Sirio Gainmaster 64 wave. Just got hit with 70-75mph winds and hung in like a champ.
Bent far over in the wind but did not snap.I believe and always have that it's assembly error that causes the first to second section breaks. May be 2nd section not inserted deep enough into the first section. Clamp too loose and over time loosens up more to allow the 2nd section to rock in the first. Or maybe clamped too tight and causes unseen cracks. I took time to fuss over each section as I assembled it. Double clamped each section to be safe. Held up like a champ in heavy wind gusts. Will it survive 100mph winds? Doubt it but that would shred many antennas. Gainmaster I think gets a bad wrap on strength. Also as my back up antenna it's mounted low to the ground and DX has been great and it's quieter on receive than my aluminum 5/8th wave. Over all I am pleased with it. My sirio 2016 is also wind tested for 2 years and has got hit with 80-85 wind gusts and is straight as an arrow. Riped a tree down but the antenna stands straight and tall. Also Gainmaster advantage, no tuning, hang it and SWR is flat as a pancake and broadbanded.

Last edited:

Well, I've got the Sirio 2008 up since mid summer. Last night, and currently, we are experiencing high winds, 40 mph gusting to 65 to 70 mph. So far it's in one piece. I'm hoping for the best throughout the day. Trees are down all over, power lines on fire, the place is a mess. My fingers are crossed because if it goes down I'm out of commission until summer.

Reactions: Riverman and S&W357
good to hear as i have been eyeing this antenna for a while.

the thing that holds me back is the power rating.

once sirio gets off of their culos and makes a version that can handle 2KW, i'll buy one instantly.
LC

Reactions: Blackcat630 and L2
good to hear as i have been eyeing this antenna for a while.

the thing that holds me back is the power rating.

once sirio gets off of their culos and makes a version that can handle 2KW, i'll buy one instantly.
LC

That rating is 1kw CW continuous, 3kw short term. CW is a 1000 watt carrier, no? If you're talking 2kw pep it should be just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

i have always heard that the power handling is 500 watts continuous and 1K peak.
LC

Pulled from Sirio store:

• Type: 5/8λ ground plane
  • Frequency range: tunable from 26.4 to 28.2 MHz
  • System: 10M-HAM
  • Impedance: 50Ω
  • Radiation (H-plane): 360° omnidirectional
  • Polarization: linear vertical
  • Gain: 1.3 dBd, 3.45 dBi
  • Bandwidth @ SWR ≤ 2: SIRIO 2008 ≥ 1750 KHz
  • SWR @ res. freq.: ≤ 1.1
  • Max. power: 1000 Watts (CW) continuous 3000 Watts (CW) short time
  • Feed system / position: Transformer DC-ground / base
  • Connector: UHF-female

Ok
It's the 2008 that is rated 1KW
I thought we were talking about the op's antenna.
The screen shot above is the gain master

Jeff

I thought we were talking about the 2008, so that is what I posted for specs. Still, the 500 watts and the 1000 watts they talk about say CW. Isn't CW a carrier similar to AM/FM carrier?

sorry for causing the confusion guys.

yes i was referring to the gainmaster.

it will handle a 500 watt deadkey.

when i put an antenna up i plan on it staying up for a long time, and while i usually just run a 4 pill, i work on other peoples' amps quite regularly, and need to be able to push 2KW into the antenna without worrying about it.
LC

Reactions: S&W357
sorry for causing the confusion guys.

yes i was referring to the gainmaster.

it will handle a 500 watt deadkey.

when i put an antenna up i plan on it staying up for a long time, and while i usually just run a 4 pill, i work on other peoples' amps quite regularly, and need to be able to push 2KW into the antenna without worrying about it.
LC
2kw carrier???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.