• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 225

HITEK-REDNEK

HITEK-REDNEK
Nov 21, 2010
Columbus,Oh.
:oops: Ok well my little issue with trying to get a shorter delay in my amp didnt go so well I removed the cap. on the right side under the power wires attached 1 end back to the board the other end to a switch the cap. went up in smoke but the good news is the amp still works go figure I dont know why it does but it does so any help would be greatly appreciated I know lots of you guys have gave me advise but do I need to replace the cap. or let it go I think Im going to deal with the long delay dont want to make the whole amp go up in smoke. Thanks to all.
personal email the3ofus@columbus.rr.com

Attachments

• SM 4.jpg
    SM 4.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 201
  • SM 2.jpg
    SM 2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 192

The cap you've described is in the power section of the amp and has nothing what soever to do with the key section of the amp.

I believe the cap you're looking for is this one I've circled in the picture.

palomar350insidecp311.jpg

Ok so what does the cap that I hooked the switch to and smoked do? and do I need to replace it.

It's just there for decoupling and or as a dc stiffening cap, yes replace it with the original value.

The one I've pointed out should be changed to a higher or lower pf value to change the length of delay but retain at least the same voltage rating.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED, FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU DID WRONG BEFORE!!!

Obviously you did SOMETHING wrong, or you wouldn't have seen smoke!

The area you're going to be working in CAN AND WILL BE DAMAGED IF YOU SHORT SOMETHING.......

Chances are, you put a short from positive to negative on the last cap. THATS NOT CORRECT!!!! You do that in the area you're contemplating working on and your amp might not key again :(

--Toll_Free

Great thats what I want no delay in am mode or as little as possible and is it ok to use the amp for a week till I get time to get another cap to replace the 1 that went up in smoke.

Great thats what I want no delay in am mode or as little as possible and is it ok to use the amp for a week till I get time to get another cap to replace the 1 that went up in smoke.

The switch will disable the cap and you will have normal tx/rx function in AM mode and be sure to use insulated wire as the circuit the cap operates in will have voltage on it.

Be sure to lift just one leg of the cap then attach that leg to one of the legs of the switch then the other leg of the switch back to where you lifted the leg of the cap off the board.

DO NOT PUT A SWITCH ACROSS BOTH LEGS OF THE CAP!!!!!! IT WILL GO BANG JUST LIKE THE OTHER CAP DID AND YOU WILL NOT LIKE THE RESULTS OF THAT BANG.

The cap mackmobile circled,is the cap that controls the delay,one thing I don't understand is all the talk of adding a switch,why not just swap the cap out with a 10uf 50 volter?

The cap mackmobile circled,is the cap that controls the delay,one thing I don't understand is all the talk of adding a switch,why not just swap the cap out with a 10uf 50 volter?

Because he wants no delay at all while in AM mode and to accomplish this he needs to add a switch to disable the electrolytic while in AM mode since it came setup with auto SSB delay.

Ah, I see, I thought he was trying to shorten the delay just a bit. What would be the advantage of no delay at all, as opposed to say a half second or so delay?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.