• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 2547 getting hung up

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
Sometimes my galaxy is getting hung up. what i mean by that
Key the mic no recieve = normal
Unkey the mic, transmit light goes back to green
linear unkeys
Still no Recieve audio.
key the mic on and off 1 or 2 times. Audio comes back.
Or let it sit for about 30 seconds audio SLOOWWWLLY comes back.
WHats the deal guys.

try the radio without amp in line ? check your radio controls ? I never heard of a relay opening and closing slowly like that ?

I've seen this happen on many galaxy radios, the culprit has always been a cold solder joint. If problem occurs without amp in line, then I would look closely at the solder side of the board.

Also check the mic jack inside the radio where the wires connect to the 4 pins. reheat the solder on the wires one by one and make sure nothing is touchiing or shorting all it takes is one hair sized piece of wire to short to points together.

One question... Does the s/rf meter show the signal being steady and present, or can you see it "fade in" on the meter... It's kind of hard to say exactly where to look, but... (assuming needle shows the "fade in", and most likely)...

I would start near the center of the rear chassis (by where the connection comes from the so-239). With the radio solder side up, and knobs facing towards you, work your way around the board, clockwise. Pay special attention in the area of the PLL/VCO section. You should be able to find a spot you can fidget with that makes the rx come right back. Most of the action you are interested in is occurring in this region (uhhm....top and bottom right quadrants of radio...if that makes any sense). A little skillful poking, a little prayer, and a lot of luck might make it easy. Sometimes cold solder joints can be a b!tc#.

If your s/rf meter shows the signal being present at all times, then look on the left side of the radio (still solder side up, knobs to the front), as this is where most components in the audio section are located.

IM really sorry to hear about your problem big red . You bought this radio new ? and if I recall ? it wasn't that long ago ? Galaxy has a good warrenty service , if this is the case ? Do yourself a favor and contact Galaxy warrenty center and get a RMA number from them and ship the radio back to them and have them repair it for you. It's a good decent base station. IM not saying that maybe you might be able to fix it yourself ? But you have your hard earned money tied up into it and if you have a warrenty ? by all means use it ! GRTS whom hangs out around this forum, I think works for them ? maybe you could PM him and he might be able to give you some better advise. The best of luck to you. (I believe GRTS asked you once about trading you something for your aviator ? (The Galaxy sign under your Forum handle)) The dude knows his stuff. :)

Check the transmit and receive switching transistors Q33 and Q30 respectively.

Collector of Q33 should be 8.0vdc in TX and 0.0vdc in RX.
Collector of Q30 should be 0.0vdc in TX and 8.0vdc in RX.

Make sure the negative lead on your voltmeter is attached to PC board ground and not chassis ground.

This is the best place to start when troubleshooting a TX or RX problem.

Also I got your PM request for the clarifier control and thought we had worked a deal out on that.
I send you the clarifier control and you give me my Galaxy logo avatar back....

What do you think guys, sound like a fair trade?

8)

-Ray
Galaxy Radios

sounds more then fair to me but then again that's just me. There you go Bigred , the man in text is at your disposal. If I were you , I'd send my radio to him and turn over the aviator already. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.