• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 2547

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
I noticed after a warm up and talking for a period the frequency counter starts to go down example 27.115..27.114.9...8...7...

It does have a open clarifier on it/xmit/rcv.
I put a cooling fan on it today and it seemed to have helped some what..Anyone else see this problem

DOCTOR/795

Two things can move on this radio.

Either the radio or the counter could drift.

I've found that from room temperature, my radio would drift about 300 Hz down and stabilize to around a 50 Hz drift. This usually takes about an hour. After that, I measured a fairly consistent trend in the approximate 50 Hz drift between morning and night. This was the actual radio circuit I was measuring, not from the built in counter.

Take the back off the radio and look at the control board for the counter. There is a crystal on this board that is usually bent flat against the circut board. This crystal has to be insulated from the haet of the board so what I did was straighten out the crystal and wrap it with a small piece of foam.
Let me know if this works for you.

Jim

I noticed after a warm up and talking for a period the frequency counter starts to go down example 27.115..27.114.9...8...7...

I put a cooling fan on it today and it seemed to have helped some what..Anyone else see this problem

DOCTOR/795

JIM
I pulled off the top cover and looking forward to the counter, I saw the crystal and as mentioned pushed tight against the circuit board. I pulled it away and found some packing foam rubber and snipped a piece and put it behind the crystal and it has only moved 1 notch on the readout in last few hours, and that is with the clarifier off, when pushed on still doesnt move at all seems stable. I did leave the muffin fan on and so far in 4 hours on it hasn't moved, hopefully the problem is solved.

I guess the material I put behind it will suffice.

THANKS

DOCTOR/795

No sweat. I had this same issue with my 2517, just a design flaw and was fixed on the newer models.

Jim

JIM
I pulled off the top cover and looking forward to the counter, I saw the crystal and as mentioned pushed tight against the circuit board. I pulled it away and found some packing foam rubber and snipped a piece and put it behind the crystal and it has only moved 1 notch on the readout in last few hours, and that is with the clarifier off, when pushed on still doesnt move at all seems stable. I did leave the muffin fan on and so far in 4 hours on it hasn't moved, hopefully the problem is solved.

I guess the material I put behind it will suffice.

THANKS

DOCTOR/795

DOCTOR/795

Yes, very, very, very common on that type of radio.. let it warm up for 1/2 hour or so, or what I do is never turn if off.. which I have found to be the best and most accurate.. Doug:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.