• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 33hp

Trainwreck

Aug 4, 2012
Can anyone tell me how to lower my dk on high power of my galaxy 33hp without loosing the 40 watts of power i have now. I have heard these radios are capable of 50+ watts and i would like to see if mine has anymore hiding in there.....Thanks for your help

I would start with a factory spec complete tune and alignment. Once your modulation is at 100% and the signal looks good on a scope the radio is being all it can be. No one will hear or notice the difference between 40,45, or 50 watts. Usually when you buy a radio from a trusted shop that does quality proper tech work you don't have to mess with it.

If you have the equipment, peaking the output is not that complicated to do. You need a reliable and reasonably accurate watt meter and a 1khz sound source. Use the Service Manual on CB Tricks for the transmit coil location.
DO ALL OF THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you have MOSFET final transistors in the radio; it might go 50w PEP/peak. If it has 1969 final transistors in it; then ~38w PEP/peak is all you should get. No receiving station will ever notice the difference between 35w and 50w - BTW. So, it is kinda useless to do if you already have ~35w PEP/peak.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.