• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 55 HP please somebody come look at this here!

Buzzard78945

Feb 8, 2020
Ok so I recently bought a Galaxy DX 55 HP off of eBay brought it home hooked it up to my meter ( dosy... i know it’s a dosy) 300watt MFJ dummy load checked SWR ...(perfect, just for fun) boom variable dead key in spec swings 35-40 peak watts looks good... put it in my truck check receive with my wife’s radio in her truck Perfect... life is good

The other day she was taking to me and my receive was a little flimsy I mean in and out... o_O
so I turn squelch all the way off RF gain all the way up barely any static...???? (n)

so naturally as any GOOD (new:D:D:D) radio technician would do... first step of diagnostics: BEAT ON THE TOP OF THE BOX!!!!

ya it worked... of course receive came back life was good until next bump on the road :(:(:(

ok open up box and I see something I wouldn’t have really have expected BUT I know you guys could help checked the basics (only thing I really know how to check) and found this...

ya the center terminal is spinning and broke off the main lead to antenna... soooo my question is..... what is recommended to replace any lead with? From board to antenna jack center port... I got some small wire... ya... plus I think I figured out why this radio had new finals in it... anyways Any thing special for that lead? Thanks!

Also big shout out to HandyAndy he is a really great guy helping me out with another radio I’m having problems with THANKS!

Attachments

• BF6D8588-8FE4-4BF9-A0CF-F3A5994E78D8.jpeg
    BF6D8588-8FE4-4BF9-A0CF-F3A5994E78D8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 79F4CD59-62AC-4FD9-9452-67C64D93FDCA.jpeg
    79F4CD59-62AC-4FD9-9452-67C64D93FDCA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • CD8E83CC-38C9-4C1C-A4C5-968A0FD6096F.jpeg
    CD8E83CC-38C9-4C1C-A4C5-968A0FD6096F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35

Ohhh, gotcha! I didn't catch that part... sorry! Yeah, you would need an SO-239 connector. If you have a junk/parts radio laying around, you can remove it and install in the 55HP and it will work fine, you won't have any installation issues with it, they are all universal.

~Cheers~

BUTTTTTT... the center terminal on the connector rotates with the coax!!!! Not good so I’m gonna have to change the plug (y)(y)
Ohhh, gotcha! I didn't catch that part... sorry! Yeah, you would need an SO-239 connector. If you have a junk/parts radio laying around, you can remove it and install in the 55HP and it will work fine, you won't have any installation issues with it, they are all universal.

~Cheers~

I do have plenty of those! Will do! Thanks

quick side note can a circuit be to small? To put there? Also does it matter if it’s an insulated wire? The one on this radio is not insulated the one on my cobras

No, it can't really be too small. You're good to go. Insulated or non-insulated, it doesn't really matter. (y)

~Cheers~

THANKS!

Tomorrow morning I’m going to look at this station monitor but I wanted to test it first and i wanted to bring this radio to test with now I can thanks a lot!

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.