• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 66 frequency problem

Cheech

Apr 6, 2005
Medina county Ohio
I have a galaxy 66 I'm having trouble with. When you turn the radio on the frequency counter shows 25mhz or so and it starts jumping through the frequencies.

I replaced the 10.240mhz crystal and it worked for a short time. I started going through the alignment procedure and half way through it started again. I replaced capacitor 82 per galaxy tech notes I found on cb tricks. It said if the crystal keeps blowing replace c82. I did that and replaced the crystal again and its still all over the place.

Im lost! Ive looked for cold solder joints etc but it all looks good.

Then either the PLL is bad, or the voltage feed to it is unstable.
Check to VCO voltage FIRST, then check your voltage regulator.
Check all solder joints around the pll, VCO, loops osc, and 10.240 osc with some touch-up solder..
The pll and to 10.240 xtal are tied directly to each other, as the pll uses that xtal as a reference.

Last edited:
Changed the PLL chip. Turned on the radio and it seemed fine. Had other things to do so I shut it off and disconnected it. Come back to finish it up and tried it again and its still all over frequency. Checked the frequency at the one pin on the pll chip and its showing 10.24? There has got to be something obvious Im missing here but Im not sure what?

Changed the PLL chip. Turned on the radio and it seemed fine. Had other things to do so I shut it off and disconnected it. Come back to finish it up and tried it again and its still all over frequency. Checked the frequency at the one pin on the pll chip and its showing 10.24? There has got to be something obvious Im missing here but Im not sure what?
Have you checked anything on the band board? I worked on a 44v that was doing the exact same thing, changed a few diodes on the band board and has been fine ever since. Its been a while though and can't remember which ones I changed.
Hope this helps. Good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated