• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 94 with TS DX-500

As long as your antenna system is right you should be good to go. If you have a co-phase harness in there you must run two antennas at all times. Also, if you are adding two new antenna's you MUST set the swr on the antenna system BEFORE you try and talk. You can't just slap two antenna's on there and go.

Reactions: 2 people
I got this out of the manual

"When the switch is in the “SWR” position, the meter indicates the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) of your antenna. There are no adjustments because the SWR circuit in this radio calibrates itself automatically (accurate at maximum power output)."

Should I still set it with my external SWR meter. I am trying to find directions on how to do two antennas......I know, Iknow.....Its a stupid question but I am gonna aks it anyway, :unsure:Since I am a rookie....How do ya do it:confused:

Thanks

"When the switch is in the “SWR” position, the meter indicates the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) of your antenna. There are no adjustments because the SWR circuit in this radio calibrates itself automatically (accurate at maximum power output)."

Should I still set it with my external SWR meter. I am trying to find directions on how to do two antennas......I know, Iknow.....Its a stupid question but I am gonna aks it anyway, :unsure:Since I am a rookie....How do ya do it:confused:

Thanks

The only thing the manual is telling you is the meter self calibrates. It is NOT telling you it will auto tune the SWR.

Setting the SWR with co-phase antenna's is a chore. First you should use an external meter and you need a 50 ohm dummy load.

1) install one new antenna on one of the mounts and put the dummy load on the other.

2) set the SWR for this antenna.

3) remove the dummy load and replace it with the second new antenna. Then remove the antenna you just set and install the dummy load there.

4) set the SWR for the other antenna.

Once your done remove the dummy load and put the first antenna back on. Boom, there you go, your co-phase SWR is set.

Thanks

that gives a ballpark figure.the best route is a external swr meter and a 3 feet jumper coax to
hook it up. as i said you can just unscrew 1 antenna if using 75 ohm coax . cause your radio antenna jack is 50 ohms and your antenna should be close to 50 ohms .so see how
you need the right coax.now if IS 50 ohm coax then definately use 1 antenna. and probaly
should get a single 18 feet run of coax.now ASSUMING your coax is 75 ohm for dual antennas i tune them like this
you,ll need 1 18 feet 50 ohm piece of coax with connectors
1/start with 1 antenna and single coax on either side
2/once you get one side set goto to other side and repeat
3/once ya get both sides tuned then install both antennas AND the 75 ohm dual coax setup
and swrs should still be good.
4/ how to tune swr. check on ch.1 and 40
5/if higher on 40 shorten whip by sliding it down more if need cut 1/8 of a inch off bottom
6/if higher on ch.1 lenthen whip by sliding it out about 1/8 inch
this is why im against duals lots of work for little to no gain.
but need to find out what type of coax ya got
ideally you want your swr close on channel 1 and 40 anything 1.5.1 will be fine . 3.0 or higher will harm your amp/radio

Any suggestions to go with the dx. I had a galaxy 99 but it burnt up in a fire. I want a similar featured radio.
The 95T is a nice radio if you can find one i would love to get my hands on a 94hp or a 98vhp just to try them out, if you use SSB it is really nice to have the 6 digit counter that the 95's have. I would also look into the SS158EDX from what i hear it is a great radio as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.