• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 94hp frequency display issue

Mk121

Oct 28, 2015
I have a 94hp that the first 3 digits of the display went out. The last two are still lit up fine. Checked the connections, ebreveryth seemed good. Any ideas? Thanks

Andy,
Ok thanks I found the PCB layout. Would it be the r30 through r9 section that I should touch up first?

(...going back and looking myself...)

dx94hp_ept99hp20a_top_layout.gif

Bottom side
dx94hp_ept99hp20a_bot_trace.gif

Display digit board...

dx94hp_ept99hp30a_parts_layout.gif

Take your time on this - look over all this stuff for this is what I think you have - but is it what you ACTUALLY have?

You should also look for PHYSICAL damage - dropped case - nicked corner - tapping on the board you hear a twang and see vibrating parts...

IT those sections you will need to take a closer look...

Do you see it yet?

Bottom graphic, note the upper and lower sectional of the card, right where the two meet - in the center where upper and lower are - note the wording COM 1,2, 3 and COM 4,5,6 and 2DP?

That is what I'm thinking...

Back to the channel board with the "guts" for the frequency counter and display...

Q 4 and Q5 poll - they rapidly turn the leads on and off....one on, the other off, the other is now on, this one goes off - cycle sort of thing...If you are missing one side and it seems the board connection is ok, these SMD parts may be the problem.

:+> Andy <+:

Yep I see what you talking about. That should be what I have. I will pop it open again later today and try to locate the area you are referring to. Will let you know what happens. Thanks

As a sidenote to this if one of the resistors was at fault the symptom would be the same segment on several digits not working. You might see a 0 instead of an 8 for example on the digits that share that common.

This is what is referred to as a multiplexed display.

It's likely what @Handy Andy says. A broken track where the boards meet, the switch (transistor) itself or a support component. Possible but less likely is the microcontroller itself which if I recall correctly is a holtek MCU with a simple counter application.

Well I did reflow a bunch of the joints. Including the ones Andy mentioned but still nothing. Just wanted to give an update.

Ok, with power off, backprobe the front LED "Common" where you found that broken joint (if there was one) because if my hunch is right - the "bounce" or whatever physical strain that cause the broken traces - may have cracked more further along the chain - hence the continuity test and backprobe - and if it was on, may have caused Q4 or Q5 to fail due to the "jump" in load condition.

If Q4 shorted, the display would be on all the time and show "overlay" of the next series of digits to display and you'd mostly see "888" kinda thing on your first three or last three because the two polling display toggles are "on" at the same time.

But first check to see if the traces for COMMON for the groups - are good all the way back to Q4 and Q5 - they should show continuity all they way back to there...

Usually how they number, Q4 may be your culprit - these transistors are a lot like a 2SA945 or a 2SA1015 - they are high speed switch NPN or PNP but they don't take kindly to "sudden" state of change on their loads there is a lot going on so they quickly fail under open no-load conditions due to the toggle event on their bases has nowhere to return. They are not high current sinking devices with built in power dissipation resistors...

Heck even the "dim" function can make the parts fail - if someone played with it and or with a power supply trying to volt - these transistors are already pushed pretty hard...can cause this too.

The Switch side of the board should have some holes in which to make up a "L" brace with any spare discrete leads laying around on the desk.

Ok, with power off, backprobe the front LED "Common" where you found that broken joint (if there was one) because if my hunch is right - the "bounce" or whatever physical strain that cause the broken traces - may have cracked more further along the chain - hence the continuity test and backprobe - and if it was on, may have caused Q4 or Q5 to fail due to the "jump" in load condition.

If Q4 shorted, the display would be on all the time and show "overlay" of the next series of digits to display and you'd mostly see "888" kinda thing on your first three or last three because the two polling display toggles are "on" at the same time.

But first check to see if the traces for COMMON for the groups - are good all the way back to Q4 and Q5 - they should show continuity all they way back to there...

Usually how they number, Q4 may be your culprit - these transistors are a lot like a 2SA945 or a 2SA1015 - they are high speed switch NPN or PNP but they don't take kindly to "sudden" state of change on their loads there is a lot going on so they quickly fail under open no-load conditions due to the toggle event on their bases has nowhere to return. They are not high current sinking devices with built in power dissipation resistors...

Heck even the "dim" function can make the parts fail - if someone played with it and or with a power supply trying to volt - these transistors are already pushed pretty hard...can cause this too.

The Switch side of the board should have some holes in which to make up a "L" brace with any spare discrete leads laying around on the desk.
5BCE0A04-1DA9-4765-85D4-B614FB852B6E.gif

Ok, remember that Q4 and Q5 are SMD - so the NPN or PNP can cross to a discrete part but the finagling you'd have to do is not easy.

So if you have some SMD's or at least some NPNs' there may be hope...

They're 2SC2712GR...
Q4andQ5translateto.gif

PDF attached of the Toshiba 2SC2712 series

Look it over, and there is an outline in the PDF to help identify the leads.

:+> Andy <+:

Attachments

• 2SC2712_datasheet_en_20140301TOSHIBA.pdf
    308.4 KB · Views: 1

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.