• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 959- clipping the limiter and spreading the copper coils

hakles

Jun 12, 2011
Hi all
I have galaxy 959 with 1969 final in it. This thing has been peaked and tuned but i see what the SB shop did to it.
They clipped the limiter by removing d63 and spreading the little copper coils.
So now I just wonna know, if ,clipping the limiter and spreading the little copper coils on galaxy 959 the way they did is any good or not.
Please let me know
Thanks all

Spreading those coils force that filter circuit to become useless. It is there to filter off the harmonics of 54mhz. You don't want 54mhz coming out of your radio. The watt test meter may see more watts output if those coils are spread; but those watts aren't on 27mhz. Those watts are on 54mhz. Meters cannot tell the difference between the two frequencies. It also robs the output transistors of what 27mhz it could be transmitting.

It is a useless idea proposed by those who don't really know what they are really doing. Or it is done by those that do know, but will do the job because they want more money when working on the radio. They don't care that it is worse; they do it because people will pay for what they think is better.

Clipping the diode out will make the radio put out more watts too. But those watts will be spreading next to whatever freq/channel you are on. That is called 'bleed over'. This happens when the modulation circuit is disabled and the modulation can now go waaay above 100% modulation. SO it splatters across across the 27mhz band. The same thing is true for the output final transistor output here too. It could be putting all of the energy into the frequency you want; but now it has to spread it around and - in effect - makes the radio output worse/less on that channel. This condition will also put extra stress on the output transistors and can contribute to premature failure. Remember? Meters cannot tell the difference. So, you might see more watts out; but they aren't going where you think they are.

Hook up a radio that is so 'modified' up to a linear amp, and the problem is made much worse - because the amp is now having to amplify a bunch of different frequencies instead of one. SO, more power is now wasted in the amp - for the same reasons mentioned. Crap in; crap out. This is true for both the spread coils AND the diode clip job. Still want that?

Ham radios don't splatter and their output transistors and put all of the power output directly on the freq that it is on. Efficient and clean. One of many reasons why they are better - and sound better - than a CB. But if you need to sound like the rest of those who don't know any better and want to continue to perpetuate the splatter/over-modulation myth further - go right ahead and keep it the way that it is now.

The BEST way to make the radio perform with a mod, is to put a 'TopGun Compressor' in it and keep the modulation adjusted at 100% or less. That, and an alignment that is done BY THE BOOK - should make it modulate better than those that are still caught up in the old mythical and misguided means for better modulation. This mod works very nice on AM and SSB too. Or get an older Turner Super SideKick, Turner+3, or Turner+3B mic - they already have a compressor built in for the same compression effect.

Another way is the NPC mod. But this has to be done by a tech that can carefully set the modulation so that it works just right. Not to be re-adjusted by someone that doesn't know what they are doing; or the best effect is lost. This mod is for AM use only.

Adjusting the mic gain too high will also make it have many of the same maladies mentioned above - too. 100% modulation or less is a fair 'rule of thumb' . . .

Last edited:
Thanks for quick respond, Robb.
Are you a Tech?
Please let me know
I See you know so much of CB.
You are wright by saying : ,,,
Spreading those coils force that filter circuit to become useless'''
I know now why the Cb shop put in some ceramic cap on my 959.
Robb let me know if you are tech?
thenks

ok
do you know what may be a problem in my 959
i have recive and transmit on SSB all the time is working ok
but on am , I have transmit but no recive frome time to time.
what may be wrong ?
can you help me out?
Robb please respond
Thanks

Bad solder joint
Intermittent semiconductor or capacitor.
It pretty much comes down to the most likely components that fail, or if there is a problem with the connections.

IS the radio under warranty? Then send it back to Galaxy. If it isn't under warranty; you can still send it to them for repairs too . . .

Last edited:
Nice receiver when aligned properly.
Transmit is OK too. Drifts off frequency when on SSB in a hot or cold environment. All Galaxy radios do that; that is typical of Ranger radios too. Fine if you are just using it for AM use only.

I like radios that work well on SSB. Cobras, Unidens, Presidents, and Magnums . . .

Last edited:
I see
I like uniden too
I have uniden LT really nice one and uniden 148gtl old one, side mic
good on ssb
Thanks you Robb ,you are the man.

Nice receiver when aligned properly.
Transmit is OK too. Drifts off frequency when on SSB in a hot or cold environment. All Galaxy radios do that; that is typical of Ranger radios too. Fine if you are just using it for AM use only.

I like radios that work well on SSB. Cobras, Unidens, Presidents, and Magnums . . .

What Magnums do you like and why?

What Magnums do you like and why?

Uhhhh . . . hmmm . . .
First of all, I talk SSB more than AM. Practically no AM - really. Bought my first Magnum, and still have it. The S45 OmegaForce. It can do a fine job on AM; so long as you turn the mic gain to the right spot if you have the TopGun modulator on. But on SSB the TopGun compressor is just fine and adds a great deal of clarity and punch when I used a D104 lollipop. Talked skip extremely well and I was more than pleased with it - still am. Even though I don't use it any more; it is a fine backup radio.

The newer Mag 257 is a real nice radio for SSB too. No frills that the S45 has - but every bit a talker.

Also own five Cobra 148 GTL's too. Learned a lot about working on radios with them. Got them all working and tuned up. I lke the older ones better than the new ones.

Thanks for asking . . .

Last edited:
Uhhhh . . . hmmm . . .
First of all, I talk SSB more than AM. Practically no AM - really. Bought my first Magnum, and still have it. The S45 OmegaForce. It can do a fine job on AM; so long as you turn the mic gain to the right spot if you have the TopGun modulator on. But on SSB the TopGun compressor is just fine and adds a great deal of clarity and punch when I used a D104 lollipop. Talked skip extremely well and I was more than pleased with it - still am. Even though I don't use it any more; it is a fine backup radio.

The newer Mag 257 is a real nice radio for SSB too. No frills that the S45 has - but every bit a talker.

Also own five Cobra 148 GTL's too. Learned a lot about working on radios with them. Got them all working and tuned up. I lke the older ones better than the new ones.

Thanks for asking . . .

I notice that you didn't mention the S9 for SSB.
BTW
I appreciate you taking the time for my questions and value your opinion............

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.