• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959 dual final (...yes another thread)

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
I know this has been covered a few times but please hear me out. I've yet to come across the purpose I'm looking for. I have a 2011 model so it already uses the fets. I love this radio, I want to get the most of it. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR SUPER WATTS!!

I haven't seen many reports on success stories. I've seen numerous occasion that is not worth the effort. I'm actually looking for good average rms watts. Not high pep watts. I actually want to drive a 2 pill with it. Yes! A 2 pill. I want to add the 2nd final and turn the power down. Add the heat sink.

Will it still be to much? I figure with 2 transistors working for the same result as one is got to be solid! Not much heat.

Is this a good idea, is it possible to use rf power trim pots to keep power down? I want to let the amp do all the watts and later it will be good for driving a larger amp.

This is all my imagination. Just thinking.. also wouldn't having 2 transistors working together produce less splatter?

One more thing. I think it uses irf520. Is it worth using erf2030 since its better designed for this purpose? I have abutt load of both. I have all the parts except the zener.

Also I switched out q55 with a tip 127 which is equivalent of 2sa1012-o. (On the list) it seems to have better performance. Looks better on the scope.just want to make sure I didn't over look something. I have a tip 147 which would be a better upgrade but it's rather large. Worth using??

Sounds like a master plan to me but, I really do not have any knowledge as to offer an answer. Looking forward to reading where this goes. I do know many shops will not attempt a dual upgrade as they willingly admit getting the bias correct is a little tough. I had Doug build a dual mosfet 979 for me that would do 45-50 peak but I requested he back it down to 35-40. Sure do miss that little radio.

I honestly want the dual to do like 25 super clean watts. How could biasing be hard? W meter it's 3.5v right? I haven't got there yet w this radio? Seriously I might not be seeing it correctly, but all the spots are already on the board begging for it lol even a trimmer, as long as you had regulator larger enough to feed all transistors correct?

Me personally if you are wanting to do that then choke the power back down, it would be Bette to just St stick with the single FET in the final stage.you could also change out/upgradeQ56 to a 2sc817 or NTE37 FOR THE AUDIO. Something I had done also was upgrade c210 with2sa104j cap & some may tell you to use the mica cap which is also a good choice.. I an sure others with better knowledge could help you more than I could though

Replace the original IRF520's with IRF520N's from International Rectifier. You'll see some gains from changing out the mosfets alone. The ones that are used in the radio are of subpar quality and do not perform as well as the genuine International Rectifier IRF520N mosfets. Keep in mind that if you do, make sure to re-bias the new ones. Make sure that VR17 (SSB APC) is properly set at 12.5V at TP7. If you have a small heatsink, it never hurts to put that in the back of the radio, where the finals are at, to disperse any heat. Mosfets always tend to run hot, even if they aren't pushed real hard.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing a dual final conversion. It does require a bit of extra work, and the gains wouldn't be beneficial for what you're wanting to do. You'll just generate extra heat is about all.

Good luck!

~Cheers~

I think I have some irf520n. They perform better than 2030?

They will be +/- .05% for the most part. If you had a radio done with the stronger of the two no one that you talk to will say WOW, WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR RADIO.

I know this has been covered a few times but please hear me out. I've yet to come across the purpose I'm looking for. I have a 2011 model so it already uses the fets. I love this radio, I want to get the most of it. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR SUPER WATTS!!

I haven't seen many reports on success stories. I've seen numerous occasion that is not worth the effort. I'm actually looking for good average rms watts. Not high pep watts. I actually want to drive a 2 pill with it. Yes! A 2 pill. I want to add the 2nd final and turn the power down. Add the heat sink.

Will it still be to much? I figure with 2 transistors working for the same result as one is got to be solid! Not much heat.

Is this a good idea, is it possible to use rf power trim pots to keep power down? I want to let the amp do all the watts and later it will be good for driving a larger amp.

This is all my imagination. Just thinking.. also wouldn't having 2 transistors working together produce less splatter?

One more thing. I think it uses irf520. Is it worth using erf2030 since its better designed for this purpose? I have abutt load of both. I have all the parts except the zener.

Also I switched out q55 with a tip 127 which is equivalent of 2sa1012-o. (On the list) it seems to have better performance. Looks better on the scope.just want to make sure I didn't over look something. I have a tip 147 which would be a better upgrade but it's rather large. Worth using??

If you want good amp driving RMS peak wattage pissing around with a second final and then backing the power down is rediculous. That's like adding a hot cam and nitrous to your big block and then installing a 55 MPH limiter on it.

Keep the finals the way they are and have the non-volted version of the NPC mod done, I think it is called PPE (positive peak expansion). Set your dead key for 1.75 watts, run that 25 ish peak watts into your Texas Star 350 and you will have 300-350 peak watts all day long. All this with loud crisp audio.

:bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh:

Reactions: 1 person
Woh dude, seen too many threads like this..? Yeesh just brain storming.. btw I don't currently own any amps I didn't build from scratch. Dig you read my post or just respond to the title? I'm just day dreaming here probably won't do any of it.

The spot on the pcb looks so lonely with no transistor in it. Lol.
Just messing with you man, I've had a long day.. I am curious about this npc mod I've read so much garbage about. In theory it sounds amazing but the only time I attempted it was on a148 and couldn't get it to look right on the scope. Ended up totaling the radio. It's in my "to be fixed" stack. I do see that this is a bit different with the diode. I'd love to be able to run 175% peaks while not negative clipping I'm just sceered to do it on this radio. Does it actually look right on the scope or does it just m make the needle slam against the peg? I'd like to see some legit info on this method bc I've wanted to try it.

Correct me if in wrong but it's assinign to volt the mosfet right? In this app.

The radio's I had the PPE mod done to were the old school 1969 powered radio's. I have never been a fan of volting finals to get a a few extra watts.

I would suggest you check out this guys site. He builds some wild 959's if that is what you are looking for. Custom CB radios
If an all in one package is what you want he does some good work.

My choice would be a nice tune, recieve mod, audio mod, and then run an external amplifier. Anyway it's all good.

Yea.. im not going for the super hog.. I want audio on this radio. I only want receive mods, open clarifier, and possibly npc if I can get it right on the scope.

Does the diode get it pretty close or did it take major surgery after you put it in. I'm pretty good but not a pro tuner.

Ex13 May I ask why your perfer 520n? I thought 2030 was built for this. I'm not sure I'll go thru re adjusting everything for a couple watts just curious

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.