• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959 dual final (...yes another thread)

im not a fan of volting at all. the dual final mod imho would be nice if you wanted
to run a straight 4 pill amp . but to do the mod then turn the output down
to match the 2 pill amp seems pointless to me.and talking without a amp
NO ONE will ever notice the slight increase in power.so would i have a
dual mosfet mod done??depend on what amp i wanted to run with it thats all.
now if ya want audio try a extreme 2018 there very nice sounding. and im not a echeo fan

Yea.. im not going for the super hog.. I want audio on this radio. I only want receive mods, open clarifier, and possibly npc if I can get it right on the scope.

Does the diode get it pretty close or did it take major surgery after you put it in. I'm pretty good but not a pro tuner.

Ex13 May I ask why your perfer 520n? I thought 2030 was built for this. I'm not sure I'll go thru re adjusting everything for a couple watts just curious

I see where you said, " I want audio on this radio ". You do understand that the final, be it a 1969, 520, or 2030, will not give you more or less AUDIO?

I can have a radio set up with say the SP-1A speech processor, and tune it for 20-25 watts. And with that audio monster I could cut the lipps off say a Copper tuned Export that does 45 watts.

Many years ago a local had an old Tram radio that only did 12 watts. And yet he could talk just as far as he could with his Galaxy 88 that did 30 watts. It's all in the audio.

In the end your radio will only sound as good as the tech was that tuned it. There is more to it then a number on a watt meter.

So I did the mod and I'm pretty happy with the results do far. I changed l35 to 4 turns and I added large heat sink. I have not maxed power out yet to see what I can get but it seems pretty solid. It's there any thing I need to do with the limiter circuit out can it keep up with the dualies

One more thing. On the original final section there is no 100n cap grounding the gate but on the dual final radio there is.. I added them I just want to understand what they are there for

Sorry to v attack everyone with questions but I have a couple more. After adding the second final I retuned the output chain. I was told to flip to usb. Ahhhhh in the mic and tune to max wattage.. I noticed on the first coil it was a bit off..v after a couple turns the output jumped up like crazy. I smirked and kept going... flipped back to am to a bunch of distortion. Is what I observed on side band maximum "dirty watts"? I didn't like what I saw so,I tuned it back on am to max, and I liked the way it looked a lot better :) 1 watt/ 4 watt to 5 watt/ 29 and whistled up to 25 on the bird 43. I was only 60 % on the high side trimmer of the power pot.
I went off the rci schematic. And trimmed the drain coil down to 4 turns. This was the only major change I made other than a few mica caps. Is there anything I missing? Ive never owned a dual final transmitter, so I have nothing to compare to. Should I add a turn to the main power choke?

I do have the thicker gauge power wire.

I can't wait to finish my strait 4 pill im starting on. It's going to be a class a/b for clean audio. I'm debating going strait to 6 but I've yet to go past 2 pills, so enter the world of combiners!

Once the amp is complete can I use this radio with a little more drive or can I still use 2 watt carrier?..
I'm also going to beef the hell out of the input circuit and find the biggest rated pot I can find. L-pad??
I probably will do the 4 just bc I'm limited with space on my freight liner.

As for bias for the 4 pills.. I'll post more in a different section of the forum but I'm wanting to copy the schematic from the cobra 148. I have several of those regulators. Ic want to do it real nice. Active bias with tp's and all. I even have a few toroids for filtering. I'm very good at using eagle cad and etching so vi will probably etch the bias section when I figure it out. Be expecting this on a thread when I figure it out. In going to need everyone's help but I'll post the etch design when I'm done :)

Has any one ever attempted using complimentary pair s pnp/npn to make push and pull? I haven't seen many rf pairs

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.