• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 959 DX Frequency display problems

dss56

Sep 27, 2010
I have a Galaxy 959 with the frequency display problem.

Every thing works great until the radio warms up and the the frequency counter displays 10.695.
Radio still transmits the correct channel and frequency.
Audio power all ok.

Just the display stops reading to correct frequency. I checked for cold solder joints near the front panel and could not find any I did touch up many Solder joints and still after radio warms up it drops to 10.695.

If I cool down the area in front with a cold air can, it will come back reading the correct frequency. I just cant pin point the problem. Guess I will have to get the schematic out and try to find out if a component is failing with heat.

Anyone have this problem with the Galaxy 959 freq counter?

Well, if you hit it with cold and it came back, it has to be either a bad solder joint that you haven't found yet, a bad cap, or a bad transistor.
Be glad that you are only dealing with a relatively smaller area; makes it easier to narrow down.
OBTW, did you try plugging and re-plugging the wire harnesses?
They create problems - too . . .

I think Tran 26 im going to change.
and I will check the connectors tomorrow also re flow some more solder joints.
Thing is when you hit with cold air you really cant generalize 1 part only the area as the cold air gets on many parts

I will tackle more of it in the morning.

thanks

Yes I did

It was the small coax cable from the pc board to the front counter. I removed the counter and the cable from both ends ohmed it out and looked ok so I flipped the cable around and installed counter and cable and has been working since this post with no problems.

I had disconnected the cable many time before on the pc end to remove counter to look for bad solder joints. Never found any. So maybe turning the cable around re seating its been working.

Do you have the smae problem

Oh ok..yea I'm having the same thing happen once it's fully warmed up. Just figured I ask and see what the fix was to save myself some troubleshooting time. Thanks for the reply.

Same symptoms was ok until it warmed up and then stopped reading the true frequency.

Swap the cable around.

Be CAREFUL its a real small connector and center conductor on the connector end

I have a Galaxy 959 with the frequency display problem.

Every thing works great until the radio warms up and the the frequency counter displays 10.695.
Radio still transmits the correct channel and frequency.
Audio power all ok.

Just the display stops reading to correct frequency. I checked for cold solder joints near the front panel and could not find any I did touch up many Solder joints and still after radio warms up it drops to 10.695.

If I cool down the area in front with a cold air can, it will come back reading the correct frequency. I just cant pin point the problem. Guess I will have to get the schematic out and try to find out if a component is failing with heat.

Anyone have this problem with the Galaxy 959 freq counter?

Yep, have same issue with a couple of them .....

I think Tran 26 im going to change.
and I will check the connectors tomorrow also re flow some more solder joints.
Thing is when you hit with cold air you really cant generalize 1 part only the area as the cold air gets on many parts

I will tackle more of it in the morning.

thanks

Just curious as to what you used for the cool air.

I like those keyboard duster cans. You turn them upside down and they spray a liquid that can freeze something. Judicial use of it does amazing things. Plus, the straw can make
a pinpoint spray.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.