• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
On the audio, I was using the stock mic, the meter shows plenty of swing no problem in am.
On ssb the meter moves but not much up to a 4 or 5, whistling into the stock mic 8 plus.
I put a turner plus 3 on it, but have to crank the mic gain to 2 or 3 oclock to get a swing...
Does anyone suggest to pop the chassis and turn up the audio gain or leave alone???
Most companies have the audio set at 50 to 60 percent, thats why I am wondering..

doctor :shock:

VR-16 AM Modulation
VR-13 SSB ALC

VR-14 AM High Power
VR-18 AM Low Power

VR-17 SSB Power

and those stock Galaxy mic's seem to work very well on the radios. 13 and 17 should get you going on SSB

FWIW, my Turner +3 is set to about 9 or 10 with the mic gain at about 2.

I agree the stock galaxy mics are fairly good, but the turner is an amplified mic and should drive the audio circuit much harder, as long as it has a good battery and is working properly.

Galaxy also recommends not to use amplified mics since the audio amp is already built in to the radio.

c2

I would like to know...on your meter the switch in the middle shows modulation for am, switch to the right, shows modulation for ssb..does your radio??
On ssb what does your meter show while speaking into the mic...2...3...or what??...Did you adjust your ssb alc or leave alone??

MOD is in the center position. This only works in AM mode, not SSB. The position to the right is PWR, which measures the relative power output in both AM and SSB modes.

In AM mode and with the switch in the MOD position, you should see about 80-90% modulation with loud input (yell or whistle). It might top at 100%, but not usually. Normal voice audio (an Ahhhhhhhh) should be around 50% to 60%. This is the green scale. In SSB mode and with the switch in the MOD position, you will not (and should not) observe needle movement. Just a note here, with the power turned down, you might see more modulation.

Try this, say Ahhhhhhhhhhh with the stock mic with the power at max and the mic gain at both max and min settings. Then repeat with the power at min. Let us know what you are getting for modulation. Use a consistent Ahhhh sound.

In AM mode with the switch set to PWR, you should see a 4W key and a 1W key with the power on high and low, respectively. When you modulate, the power should swing up to a max of about 12W and 8W on the high and low settings, respectively (but you will probably see less under the steady state Ahhhhh). A dead key in SSB mode will not show any needle movement until you modulate. In SSB mode, you will likely see about 4W swing on low power and around 12W swing on high power, maximum. Less with an Ahhhh sound. You said you see around 8W max, but you have to measure this into a dummy load. An antenna can give you all sorts of odd readings as there will be reflection.

tests

Ok we are on the money pwr wise but on modulation probably splatter adjusted mic gain to 50 to 60 percent on peaks it was bouncing at 100 plus...
I have the pwr on ssb also, but on modulation on ssb it peaks at 40 percent and little change adjusting the mic gain..pwr is ok but little low in the audio on ssb..so leave as is or inside and tweak????

In SSB mode with the switch set to MOD, you should not be seeing 40% modulation. There should not be any modulation reading in SSB mode, no matter what you do with the knobs. It should indicate zero.

You would have to have it checked on a scope to know what is really going on there.

Just for your information, AM will always sound fuller, deeper, and have a punch compared to SSB. SSB might sound a bit airy and flat, and have less audio range and presence compared to AM, but SSB will much farther range.

modulation

Sorry in mod ssb nothing on ssb, on far right power I read 40 percent on one of the scales, sorry for the wrong info, I wasnt plain enough

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.