• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 959

OL RED

Apr 2, 2007
Florabama
I'VE BEEN EYEBALLING THE GALAXY 959 FOR AWHILE BUT DON'T KNOW ANYONE THAT RUNS OR HAS RUN ONE. ARE THEY WORTH THE PRICE TAG? HOW MUCH OF A PAIN ARE THEY TO DEAL WITH ON THE INSIDE (MODS, ETC.)? WHAT KIND OF POWER CAN I GET OUT OF ONE? ANY EXPERIENCED INSIGHT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

the 959/949 radios transmit the typical power output you get from a single final (2sc1969) CB radio. Expect about 18 watts max when 'peaked'.

They do have a good modulation section, so they sound a bit louder than some other currently manufactured cb radios.

Modifying them for expanded channels is pretty easy, and the procedure is available at many websites, including CBTricks.com.

A clarifier modification is also listed there. The clarifier typically can only go about 3-4 kilohertz when opened, so you won't be able to tune 5 kHz with the standard clarifier mod.

You should be able to find them new for around $130-150.

The Texas Ranger TR-696FD1 "Freedom 1" is a similar chassis with a 6 digit frequency counter.

I run a 949, and have many local ops that run this chassis (949/959, 2547, 696SSB) and everyone likes them, but we are running stock CB radios, not export/high power rigs.

If you are looking for a new sideband CB (FCC accepted) 40 channel radio with a freq counter, these are very nice radios.

The recieve is nice aswell in these including the 2547 base radio well put together radios. I didnt have any problems with my 2547 as far as channels went it went from 40 way up and even got 27.435.0 which is usually skipped this is the same board as the 959 so channels can be done

Nice to see good prop's on these radios , I've been saying it for years now about these , to many other times I'd read nothing but trash from others on these ......Go figure ? Nice to see there are others out there that can feel the same way about them as I do. It's like one month there junk and another month there decent ? You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please a perfectionist period !! :?
galaxy959hires.jpg

I have one now for a few years, yep it can be peaked for 18-21 watts on ssb, I just opened it up and increased alc, and power.
I have the expanded channels on it also. It works good and after peaked/tuned I see no drift in it, although no one has ever said anything about it. It is in the home running to a astro plane, and I talk on am 40 miles all the time, when the band is open around the country on it on ssb with no problem or am also.
If you have it peaked and tuned tell them DONT cut the transistor at q39 for more modulation, it screws the modulation up for ssb..just leave alone.

doctor :shock:

One thing I didnt like about some Galaxy radios, not this one, is the fine and course clarifier. I like just one clarifier adjustment. But thats just me. I bought my father the 959 while he driving OTR and he just passed away and I got the radio and it works great, he wasnt into extra channels and such so the radio is bone stock, very nice for a simple AM/SSB radio.

Happy_Hamer said:
One thing I didnt like about some Galaxy radios, not this one, is the fine and course clarifier. I like just one clarifier adjustment. But thats just me. I bought my father the 959 while he driving OTR and he just passed away and I got the radio and it works great, he wasnt into extra channels and such so the radio is bone stock, very nice for a simple AM/SSB radio.
yeppers some of the older radios had a slite drift problem(not bad though) but just enough to want to have just one knob:)
as it came out after all these years it turns out that 1 cap and 1 diode either leaked or was just wrong..but whats the use now days:p thats why they drifted!

I have run one for several years now - first in my big truck then in my van. I do not have any mods done to it, but had it peaked and tuned by a very good tech.
I run it thru a Palomar 250 kicker. Good receive, clear transmit, no problems. Very good radio for the price.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.