• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 979 and SSB question

lolpetewtf

Sep 21, 2012
Sudbury, MA
First I am wondering why the modulation meter does not move in SSB. It seems no one can hear me when I speak. This is a new radio and has not been touched on the inside.

Second, when the cover is off and the faceplate facing me which direction should I turn the pot to increase/decrease respective units?

Thanks!

If it is a new radio; then it is under warranty. If you tamper with it; then you are going to void that warranty. Put it back in the box and send it to a 'Galaxy Warranty Repair Station'.

'Nuff said . . .

Ditto

If it is a new radio; then it is under warranty. If you tamper with it; then you are going to void that warranty. Put it back in the box and send it to a 'Galaxy Warranty Repair Station'.

'Nuff said . . .

Amen! In ssb mode you switch the swr/mod/power switch to power to see the needle swing when you speak into the mic. My 959 was set up very wimpily from the manufacturer in that I had to whistle real loud to get the meter to swing. :whistle:

Last edited:
Every single new radio i have owed i had the internal adjustments reset by me myself and i because all new radio suck coming from the factory... Lil' Yeshua, if i were you id just do a tuneup.....

on ssb the radio will not put out any carrier,

make sure the mic gain is opened up,make sure the meter switch is set properly

if all else fails,take radio to a good tech and have that person properly tune and align the radio

Touched radio

Every single new radio i have owed i had the internal adjustments reset by me myself and i because all new radio suck coming from the factory... Lil' Yeshua, if i were you id just do a tuneup.....

I was trying to help the other guy out by giving a description of my radio before I had DTB Radios tune and align it. :pop:

Thanks fellas. I was wondering about the lack of a carrier signal and the modulation meter. I am new here as you can probably tell. Will most likely be looking for a place to do a proper tune on this thing. Suggestions welcome. Of course I'll search the forum too.

NO ssb radio will indicate movement with the meter set to modulation. You must set the meter to POWER.

SSB doesn't work the same as AM.

Thanks fellas. I was wondering about the lack of a carrier signal and the modulation meter. I am new here as you can probably tell. Will most likely be looking for a place to do a proper tune on this thing. Suggestions welcome. Of course I'll search the forum too.

SSB has no carrier, it's all modulation driven watts. If the 979 has RF power control turn it all the way open, same for the mic gain. Now go to 38 LSB and let her rip, the meter should swing.

If you still have no power output double check your settings, and maybe try a different mic. After that send it in for a new one.

A quick note, AM, USB,LSB,and FM are all different modes of talking on the same frequency. AM has a carrier or, dead key, and when you talk your watt meter will show a peak swing. USB & LSB have no carrier, it's all modulated wattage. FM is all carrier with no swing on a meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.