• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GALAXY 979/QUESTION

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
I am tuning up a GALAXY 979 for a friend , on the ALC for ssb and the AM how far do I turn the pot 1/2 or 3/4 or all the way.

THANKS

DOCTOR/795

the way you worded your question made me initially want to respond with, "put the covers back on immediately and send it to someone else." LOL

but that, im sure, is just because of how it sounded initially. :)

so, to answer your question; it depends.

for the AM power pots (VR18 for low power, and VR14 for high power) what you are really doing is setting a "range".

since it is a single final radio, you dont want the maximum deadkey to be any more than about 5 watts or so. (make sure you are doing this into a dummy load and not into an antenna, as the antenna can cause false readings)

so, turn the RF power knob on the front of the radio all the way up, key the mic with no modulation, and set VR14 for 5 watts.

now turn the RF power knob all the way down, key the mic and set VR18 for 1 watt.
the two adjustments do interfere with eachother a bit, so you'll probably have to go back and do the process again to get the range where you want it.

for SSB you want to set the SSB APC control first, before you set the ALC.
so turn the RF power knob all the way up, key the mic in SSB mode, no modulation, and set VR17 for 12.5 volts.

next, make sure the mic gain control is all the way up, key the mic, and say "ahhhh" in a steady tone while watching the wattmeter.
turn VR13 until the power drops way down.
now key the mic again, and again while giving the mic a steady tone (be it from your voice or from a tone generator) slowly turn VR13 up just until you see no further increase on the wattmeter.
then give it one tiny tweak back down.

this is a subtle adjustment, and it will take a couple of tries at it before you will feel like you have it just right.

do not EVER try to turn this control up a bit more trying to get an extra couple of watts out of it.
doing this will only cause you to sound like crap on SSB.

obviously this is an adjustment best set with an oscilloscope, but if you dont have one, you can get away with doing it this way.

now, as for the modulation pot (VR16) well, everyone usually just turns it all the way up, but it too can be set the same way you set VR13 (SSB ALC)

galaxy knows that everyone turns the modulation all the way up, and while the purists will tell you that its not right to do it, it is the way most galaxies are run.
LC

Whistling backwards works for me. It hits that particular frequency and strength and will make it peak. As far as Galaxy's go,I had a opportunity to hear a 959 that a local fixer upper/seller hand tuned. He had everything cranked to the max including modulation. Not only did he sound terrible,you could hear even the ants out in the back yard. But of course,his radios would only last 1-7 days before they'd blow.
Note: The Galaxy Tech told me to turn the little 'O' on the SSB alc to the 7:30 position with the front of the radio facing me. He said that the am side would benefit from that adjustment. But of course I had my 959 tuned by DTB shortly after that. The little 'O' on the alc pot is between the 10:30 and the 11:00 position. Runs like a well oiled clock. :D

Reactions: whiteastro
there was once an old CB'er out there who told me that when he spoke into his mic, he would hit 17 watt peaks.
when he would whistle into the mic, he would hit 25 watt peaks.

so, he decided to just whistle into the mic all the time in order to get the most wattage out of it.

his peaks were always up there, but his DX contacts plummeted. :unsure: :whistle:

LC

GALAXY 979

Thanks guys for the info.
I did tune it reference information but didn't push it hard..AM 18 watts, and ssb 22 watts, performs great.

DOCTOR/795

there was once an old CB'er out there who told me that when he spoke into his mic, he would hit 17 watt peaks.
when he would whistle into the mic, he would hit 25 watt peaks.

so, he decided to just whistle into the mic all the time in order to get the most wattage out of it.

his peaks were always up there, but his DX contacts plummeted. :unsure: :whistle:

LC

Very funny.
I go for quality as opposed for quantity nowadays. Also,I talk instead of whistling unless I have a reason to whistle. :whistle:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 63
OK L Y, you just had to out do my "hot girl with a radio" sig pic didnt'cha! LOL

thats a good one!

LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.