• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99v2

Dropped it off at my buddies work QTH. I couldn't stay due to their visitor policy. Anyways, he did his thing. Biggest issue was receive sensitivity. The transmitter section was fairly close to specs.

I just wanted modulation peaked and powers levels kept around 30 watts PEP. Initially, I thought the receive was quiet, but now it's pretty sweet. I had a 20 minute QSO with another local on 10 meters. He was on a TS-520, once I tuned him in, the rig stayed stable. I talked to another local on 11 meters. He's on an old Galaxy Turbo. He was drifting.

I am getting great audio reports using only the stock mic and my vintage RK-56. SSB stability is still good.

The voice changing feature sure sounds like crap.

I like the radio, but wished it cost around 2 bills.

Last edited:
I thought you would see more power with the duel mosfets. But I guess it means driver and final not two finals. Seems a bit pricy to me also.

It'll do more, but want it to run a little cool, plus make my amps happy. I like the radio, but your right, it's pricey.

I kept telling myself I didn't need it, but turned out to be another impulse buy.

Final observations:

I do like the radio. It has good power output with headroom to spare. Great audio, especially with a power mic. The receive is sensitive and SSB is very stable.

However, I like my blue face Magnum 257 better. I boxed my 99v2 back up and placed it in my pile of impulse buys, lol.

I'm definitely not trashing it at all.

....'am i on freq to you'...'you're off about 38 hz dude'....'can't be, had this radio to yaesu in '95, they said it was good'...'nah man, gotta be you, everybody says i'm dead on'.....dead on WHAT???? & that's from guys not even using channelized radios, forget about THOSE guys....

so i KNOW i've beaten this dead horse til it's guts have been pounded flat as a sheet of paper but.....
so i take the boat out of the water this evening & as i'm driving up the ramp i flip on the icom, which was on 10m early this morning. hearing dead silence, i start tuning across the band & lo & behold i pass by 3 of THESE guys who ARE my pet peeve & just drive me NUTS!!!! THEY ARE ON 28.385 YES TWENTY EIGHT POINT THREE EIGHT FIVE!!!! as opposed to their normal 27.385. and what could they be possibly talking about.....WHO IS ON FREQUENCY & WHO IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! i was ready to drive right off the dock!!!! all 3 are licensed, 2 techs & a general, all 3 are on HF rigs & all 3 are on 10 meters. AND THEY ARE ARGUING ABOUT WHO'S ON FREQ & WHO ISN'T!!!!!!!!! on WHAT freq????? WHO CARES????? DOES YOUR VFO WORK??? JACK ASS!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! come to think of it, i remember one of them complaining a couple years back that he got a qsl card back from japan & under 'freq', the JA writes '28' & my pet peeve commented something to the affect of 'he must be using an old analog rig & doesn't know what freq we were on.....'. well had the jack ass investigated, he would've seen this JA was using $10k of radio....i'm SURE he KNEW what freq HE was on, but 'pet peeve' just don't get it.
sorry for the ramble....i need to run somebody's radio over ;)

Reactions: Unit 75
so i KNOW i've beaten this dead horse til it's guts have been pounded flat as a sheet of paper but.....
so i take the boat out of the water this evening & as i'm driving up the ramp i flip on the icom, which was on 10m early this morning. hearing dead silence, i start tuning across the band & lo & behold i pass by 3 of THESE guys who ARE my pet peeve & just drive me NUTS!!!! THEY ARE ON 28.385 YES TWENTY EIGHT POINT THREE EIGHT FIVE!!!! as opposed to their normal 27.385. and what could they be possibly talking about.....WHO IS ON FREQUENCY & WHO IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! i was ready to drive right off the dock!!!! all 3 are licensed, 2 techs & a general, all 3 are on HF rigs & all 3 are on 10 meters. AND THEY ARE ARGUING ABOUT WHO'S ON FREQ & WHO ISN'T!!!!!!!!! on WHAT freq????? WHO CARES????? DOES YOUR VFO WORK??? JACK ASS!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! come to think of it, i remember one of them complaining a couple years back that he got a qsl card back from japan & under 'freq', the JA writes '28' & my pet peeve commented something to the affect of 'he must be using an old analog rig & doesn't know what freq we were on.....'. well had the jack ass investigated, he would've seen this JA was using $10k of radio....i'm SURE he KNEW what freq HE was on, but 'pet peeve' just don't get it.
sorry for the ramble....i need to run somebody's radio over ;)

Dave, you don't work for the US postal service...do ya?

:LOL:

cheers and beers,

Bruce

I’m trying to find some info on this radio, how to do the 11 meter mod, what VR does what, and a few other things I’d like to know about it, can’t find anything on this radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.