• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99V2

144inBama

Apr 22, 2020
Lower Alabama
Well, the 148 took a dive. No modulation when keyed and the final checked decent with an Hfe of 28. Was finally able to get up with a tech and dropped it off for repair,and a complete alignment. While I was in there he had a 99V2 setting on the shelf, so I bought it. I must say, I'm pretty impressed with it. around <40 watts PEP, clean, strong audio and the receive is beautiful. Only thing is the dead key won't go low enough, I'm dead keying around 400 watts which as we all know, isn't all that great for the pixie dust holders. I'm using the variable on the amp for now to lower the DK but it robs me of about 100 watts that way (which may not really be a bad thing as far as life of the pills go).
Anywho.....waiting on some skip to try the SSB out, hopefully she'll be clean there too. With the clarifier in center position, fine & coarse, the frequency is dead nuts, the fine will change it from say, 27.205 to 27.204 and 27.206. All bands are functional, I believe ....don't really have a way to check and have no idea which channels people even use on those bands to see. Overall, it seems to be a good talker.

Have mine back in the Peterbilt as of yesterday
(579 thread).
This is that week for a 99.

There are no perfect radios : . . this one is flat enjoyable as per your observations. Mine has plenty of hard oilfield miles and the clarifier is now slightly off. (So what?).

DK on mine is 2.5W.

Reactions: 144inBama
Have mine back in the Peterbilt as of yesterday
(579 thread).
This is that week for a 99.

There are no perfect radios : . . this one is flat enjoyable as per your observations. Mine has plenty of hard oilfield miles and the clarifier is now slightly off. (So what?).

DK on mine is 2.5W.

In the truck playing with it now, my DK is 1 watt, the Donkey Stomper needs 1/2 watt or less for a 100 watt DK.
It was 28 here last night so it took about 10 minutes with the heater on for it to warm up and stabilize on frequency. I have yet to figure out the use of the 10K button... other then going to 18 pressing the button and being on 19....
Channel wise, she'll go from 25.165 to 28.755, no idea what I'd do with all those, besides say "hey, look at all these channels". FM? Ehh.... again, no idea what I'll do with it.

Reactions: Slowmover
In the truck playing with it now, my DK is 1 watt, the Donkey Stomper needs 1/2 watt or less for a 100 watt DK.
It was 28 here last night so it took about 10 minutes with the heater on for it to warm up and stabilize on frequency. I have yet to figure out the use of the 10K button... other then going to 18 pressing the button and being on 19....
Channel wise, she'll go from 25.165 to 28.755, no idea what I'd do with all those, besides say "hey, look at all these channels". FM? Ehh.... again, no idea what I'll do with it.

Had 10-kHz key removed when Clay installed relay-op talkback on mine. The shop had done me some favors and I was happy to spend some cash. (Just do it.)

On my 86v it’s sorta a way to freeband.

I’m with you on FM. I ain’t supposed to be there and no clue of how/what is what, ha! The Forty plus USB & LSB is more than enough when things get busy.

The longest range contacts I’ve made in a big truck have been with the 99v2 with dialed -in Wilson cophase 2000s. And the W-M Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker.

You ain’t got that, what fire in the wire won’t matter. You won’t hear some maybe all of the replies to your TX. I find it pretty funny now when Billy Big Rig keys up, but can’t hear me. Since I can hear him, why can’t he hear me? His radio can.

It’s worth the time & effort to set a second radio in the bunk, and, with a coax stub antenna and headphones or external speaker for you to set Mic Gain plus Echo and Delay from the drivers seat on CH 22 or 16. Get everything to just enough. Then, the Legend Continues!

The stock mic ain’t bad, but an RK56 or A636L is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 144inBama
One thing I noticed also is that the Roger Beep doesn't work until the radio warms up. Not that I use the annoying feature, but I still like everything to work normally.

(Said for anyone, not necessarily the OP):

Your “truck” may be pickup or a Class 8. An amp is just a way to overcome bad antenna choice, bad antenna mount, and noise not abated by being painstaking.

One comes to end, in that, after plenty of effort and yet more $$.

An amp just gives a little of what’s missing, in the sense of there being an ideal the truck can’t meet. Too much motor on a bass boat kinda thing. An amp is “help”. Truck deficiencies.

In the same fashion (but differently) DSP in the audio chain overcomes radio deficiencies as to RX. It does receive more than what the operator can hear. No CB/EXPORT has DSP.

The Missing Link.

The Shadetree Mechanic Method

144, you might not have a second radio handy, but I do

Sitting in truck stop parking lot this morning to set ECHO and DELAY on the 99.

(Mic Gain on this unit set for 100% with a dedicated A636L matched to radio on bench at purchase of both).

1). Used the Uniden 980 back in the sleeper with a coax stub as “antenna” once power attached.

2). Set both radios to AM-22.

3). Then plugged in a pair of cheap headphones after turning off the 99 speaker.

4). In the drivers seat, note mic distance from mouth as normal to set Mic Gain. (See operator manual).

5). For Echo/Delay I’d recommend at 0900 with both controls as there’s just enough of each to give that pause or hang time to each word (trying for studio effect).

A starting point
(reason for the post) is with a touch of reverb. (The FM radio announcer quality as an ideal).

— More than this makes the use of the control-set too obvious. Call it 0830-0930 on the dial.

This was done with amplifier Off.

I’d imagine one could do the nicest job (fine, versus coarse) with another operator at a short to medium distance. Half a mile to two-miles. Best of all would be with a well-sorted base station.

There is a difference in use from my relaxed, early morning coffee to late day adrenaline where both voice pitch and mic distance may cause me to want to alter settings. Having a starting point is the reason for this exercise.

I know there are guys won’t use either Echo or Delay. On AM their words sound flat compared to a light, unobtrusive use of these microphone controls. On SSB, I just turn it off.

The second reason, therefore, is to record a baseline setting.

AM Monsters are that for a reason:
A). Match mic to radio,
B). Match voice to mic,
and burn some rubber!

Last edited:
@144inBama - Wow! Hey! Did you get your 148 back to play with or did you get the 99V2 as it's replacement?

One day, I'm asking you to relax and let the other knobhead lead, if they are on frequency, fine - they're on frequency (Theirs) so just follow along.

Now, you get a 99v2 - ONE cold morning of 28 degrees, you have to use the 10kC switch to put it on the channel you want to be on - until it warms up...

Hmmm.. Well, you found the method of drifting - of cold climate and Galaxy Clarifiers - you're on the frequency everyone else wants to get away to...

@144inBama - Wow! Hey! Did you get your 148 back to play with or did you get the 99V2 as it's replacement?

One day, I'm asking you to relax and let the other knobhead lead, if they are on frequency, fine - they're on frequency (Theirs) so just follow along.

Now, you get a 99v2 - ONE cold morning of 28 degrees, you have to use the 10kC switch to put it on the channel you want to be on - until it warms up...

Hmmm.. Well, you found the method of drifting - of cold climate and Galaxy Clarifiers - you're on the frequency everyone else wants to get away to...

Why does everyone fail to understand this:
in a Galaxy far, far, away . . . .

Reactions: Handy Andy

No sir, the 148 is getting repaired, I just picked up the 99V2 because it was a good price, 250 with all accessories. It was on frequency +/- 003, but after about 10 minutes, it displayed the correct frequency. I'm just saying I can turn the 10K on while on channel 18 and it will display and talk on 19 (+10K) Best I can tell, it just allows me to get the "A" channels on AM i.e. 3A, 7A, 11A, 15A, 19A , 22 A&B.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated