• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 88HL - Tone when transmitting AM, SSB

Remove C187 and check if it is gone on AM.
Remove R163 and check if it is gone on SSB.
I suspect mic opamp...
Mike

Evening,

I removed C187 and lifted one end of R163. The carrier is still present on both AM, FM and SSB.

Thank you,

Jay

take a volt meter and hook it to the so239 antenna plug with the pos lead in the pin hole and the neg lead on the outside of the connector and see if you are showing any voltage at the plug. put it on 12 volts on the volt meter. I had a galaxy 33 that had some symptoms as you are haveing and a cap was shorted back by the finals letting voltage pass through it and was showing out put like you are having with a noise. it was one of the mylar caps shorted. so long ago I do not remember which one.
after looking at the schematic it would be C166 .

Last edited:
take a volt meter and hook it to the so239 antenna plug with the pos lead in the pin hole and the neg lead on the outside of the connector and see if you are showing any voltage at the plug. put it on 12 volts on the volt meter. I had a galaxy 33 that had some symptoms as you are haveing and a cap was shorted back by the finals letting voltage pass through it and was showing out put like you are having with a noise. it was one of the mylar caps shorted. so long ago I do not remember which one.
after looking at the schematic it would be C166 .

Thanks for the suggestion. I am getting roughly 12mv in AM only. OL in SSB.

Thanks!

(Solved)

I had expelled all my options with this radio but I was not about to throw it in the junk pile. I was able to get ahold of Clay's Radio Shop and send the unit in for repair. Clay was easy to work with and was able to complete the repair in a fair amount of time. So what was found?

I cant exactly say for certainty, but the "Adder board" appears to have been the source and was replaced. Part number EPT004410A. Clay's also performed a full alignment.

Jay

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.