• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-949

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
So, let's just say someone may buy a factory resurbished (not used) DX-949 and do the following mods.

1. Replace detection diodes with Shottky barrier diodes.

2. Upgrade 1st rf amp stage with a 2SC2999 low noise transistor.

3. Replace the NB diodes with Shottkys

4. Upgrade the voltage regulator to 100w 12A version.

5. Install blue LED channel display and meter light.

6. Do complete rx/tx tune up (with real test equipment).

Keeping the radio at legal output levels both AM and SSB.

Would $129.00 plus shipping be a fair price for this radio?

Thanks...

depends on who did the work on the radio .
is 129 the befor mods or after mods price ?
sparkys has the 949 referb tuned , aligned and clarifier opened for $90 plus S&H .

Galaxy DX-949 AM/SSB CB Radio **Factory Refurbished**

Galaxy DX-949 AM/SSB CB Radio

**FACTORY REFURBISHED-2 YEAR WARRANTY**

Guaranteed the Lowest Price in the Country on a Full Feature AM/SSB Radio. Same Radio as the DX-959, Minus Frequency Counter.

Tuned, Aligned, TX Clarifier Opened...WOW...$89.95

I've been thinking of picking one of those up, but I'm a little wary of the fact so many refurbished units are out there. Do they fail often for some reason? How do they compare to other brands in reliability?

I've been thinking of picking one of those up, but I'm a little wary of the fact so many refurbished units are out there. Do they fail often for some reason? How do they compare to other brands in reliability?

I have one of the refurbs now actually. My guess is the radios have to be in some sort of commercial service maybe for them to have so many back to refurbish. This one performs very well. I'm just looking for a winter project and these rigs are easy to work on and mod to improve already good performance (for a cb radio). The clarifier mod is easy enough and a variable agc for ssb reception is also in the future for this one.

" Keeping the radio at legal output levels both AM and SSB. " Thats kinda funny to see that listed. After you do all the mods and alignment that radio will do way more then 12 PEP.

" Keeping the radio at legal output levels both AM and SSB. " Thats kinda funny to see that listed. After you do all the mods and alignment that radio will do way more then 12 PEP.

Why? None of the mods affects RF output to the point of any noticeable increase in tx rf. The recieve alignment has nothing to do with output and unless I "turn up" the appropriate pots on the board, the rf out will remain within FCC limits. It is a controllable condition even though the manufacturer made it easy to do.

Why? None of the mods affects RF output to the point of any noticeable increase. The recieve alignment has nothing to do with output and unless I "turn up" the appropriate pots on the board, the rf out will remain within FCC limits. It is a controllable condition even though the manufacturer made it easy run the 949 a little on the hot side. Very little.

Turning up the power when tuning it up is an option; if you are having a shop do the work - then it becomes necessary to make a point to tell them NOT to turn it up.

I have a friend locally that uses one of these in his mobile setup. Works very well from what I can hear. His radio was turned up when tuned up.

I have two Galaxy radios - I like them. Nice build quality.

Any radio can have a problem - and then be sent back to the factory and be refurbished. So long as the shop that sells them also provides a warranty period - I would have no problem buying one. I would get a refurbished Galaxy DX 99V; but I already have one!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.