• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-959;A State of Tune:Kitten legal or alligator on the loose?

I bought some 4.7uH chokes for my 959 to make the clarifier slide more. Anybody know where that goes? I got the MOSFET version.

First off, adding a choke to get more slide can make it more susceptible to drift with temperature change. Second, if you do add a choke, the radios loop oscillators will need to be re-tuned again!

The BEST way to get more slide out of a 959 is to jump R114. This mod is very stable and not affected by temperature change. But alas, re-tuning the loop oscillators will also be necessary.

Truth is best . . .

First off, adding a choke to get more slide can make it more susceptible to drift with temperature change. Second, if you do add a choke, the radios loop oscillators will need to be re-tuned again!

The BEST way to get more slide out of a 959 is to jump R114. This mod is very stable and not affected by temperature change. But alas, re-tuning the loop oscillators will also be necessary.

Truth is best . . .

Looks like a job for DTB!!!

Last edited:
Hey Guys! How can a Galaxy DX-959 be in a legal state of tune and still perform? Maybe a Uniden Bearcat 980 can stay pretty much within legal tune parameters but a 959? Care to comment?Jump on in!:headbang

Any legal cb set when given a proper tune/alignment with modulation set at 100% and in the 959's case 12 watt PEP on SSB will sound fine. Heck look at a Uniden Grant xl, right out of the box they sounded superb.

I did a 29 classic in UV purple, never again, not bright enough in the day time. I had to mod the rx/tx to match the purple. Also, you cant buy purple channel/freq displays, gotta mod them as well. Roadstar is a good friend of mine.

I did a 29 classic in UV purple, never again, not bright enough in the day time. I had to mod the rx/tx to match the purple. Also, you cant buy purple channel/freq displays, gotta mod them as well. Roadstar is a good friend of mine.

I was wondering at one time. I have some UV accent lighting I bought from Superbrightleds that I thought I'd use for low level lighting at night for when I'm scrounging for something in my car and don't want to get blinded. I have white led car dome and map lighting. Looks like I have a fluorescent in my car.

Truth is best . . .

So,what is a loop oscillator? What do they do? Where on the 959's board are they located and what's the procedure for adjusting them after this mod you've described is completed?

P.S. My radio is off frequency some with the new Ranger Experimental V-Board installed. So much off that the other day I couldn't tune in on a ssb'er even with the unlocked clarifier turned all the way counterclockwise.

Also,I'm about to acquire a FC347 with the instructions and includes the solder in pigtail.

Loop oscillator info here: http://www.radiomods.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2473

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.