• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959 Losing Audio

914wpg

Oct 30, 2014
Manitoba
Not really a modification but maybe somebody here can help me out.

I run a 2009 Galaxy DX 959 in my Jeep. Great radio, great output, great sound. Just one problem - sometimes when I hit a bump, the RX stops working. Signal still shows up on the S meter, but there's no audio from the radio. A swift smack to the top of the unit (after all, if something's not working you aren't hitting it hard enough... right?) and it starts working again. Sometimes it doesn't go completely silent but just a bit quieter. Usually I lose it entirely and it easily goes unnoticed for a lot of the time.

I've opened up the radio, and the speaker leads are fine. That's about as far as I've got. I couldn't find anything obviously wrong. I also haven't heard of anybody else with this problem which is also frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Check where the speaker wires plug in to the circuit board. If you have the radio front panel pointing toward you the speaker wire plug is in the right rear of the case. Unplug all power wires before taking the covers off. The speaker wires are in a real tight spot with DC Power all around it.

Last edited:
I know this is an older post, but did OP ever figure what the problem was, cause I have same radio, exact same symptoms.

I know this is an older post, but did OP ever figure what the problem was, cause I have same radio, exact same symptoms.
RIP Robb
Post #2 is right on.

Check the legs of the transistors mounted to the side of the chassis around the audio section. There's a lot of flexing there Especially when using a mounting bracket. Check the foil side where those legs are soldered.

This kind of radio usually has a small gap between the ears of the factory mobile bracket and the sides of the radio cabinet. You're supposed to shim up that gap with rubber washers included with the thumbscrews that hold the radio to the bracket. But if you mount the radio in the bracket without the shim washers this pulls the brackets' ears inward until the gap is closed. Tightening the thumbscrews puts an outward spring tension against the radio's side rails as it takes up those gaps.

Components bolted to the side rail use it as a heat sink. Their wire leads are lapped around the edge of the circuit board and soldered to foils on the edge.

Until that outward pull against the side rail severs those solder connections. A bright light and a magnifier helps to examine every one of those side-rail mounted components.

And if the radio was never mounted in a mobile bracket, this is less likely.

Just the same, we call intermittent solder connections that come and go "Galaxy Syndrome". This reflects how many radios built by this vendor will need only to be resoldered and come back alive.

By far it's the cheapest thing to check first.

Oh, and yeah. The external speaker jack contains a switch contact that turns off the internal speaker when an external plug is in place. The solder connections are frequently an issue, and the switch contact itself can lose its spring tension and cause the internal speaker to cut out. Naturally an external speaker will always work when this is the cause of the trouble.

All my galaxy radios now require a routine attitude adjustment after being mounted in the truck. Never loses just audio, more like the whole radio shuts off. A swift kick in the ribs straightens them out. During my next annual galaxy tune up I will check nomads suggestions and reflow those joints. Thanks.

This kind of radio usually has a small gap between the ears of the factory mobile bracket and the sides of the radio cabinet. You're supposed to shim up that gap with rubber washers included with the thumbscrews that hold the radio to the bracket. But if you mount the radio in the bracket without the shim washers this pulls the brackets' ears inward until the gap is closed. Tightening the thumbscrews puts an outward spring tension against the radio's side rails as it takes up those gaps.

Components bolted to the side rail use it as a heat sink. Their wire leads are lapped around the edge of the circuit board and soldered to foils on the edge.

Until that outward pull against the side rail severs those solder connections. A bright light and a magnifier helps to examine every one of those side-rail mounted components.

And if the radio was never mounted in a mobile bracket, this is less likely.

Just the same, we call intermittent solder connections that come and go "Galaxy Syndrome". This reflects how many radios built by this vendor will need only to be resoldered and come back alive.

By far it's the cheapest thing to check first.

Oh, and yeah. The external speaker jack contains a switch contact that turns off the internal speaker when an external plug is in place. The solder connections are frequently an issue, and the switch contact itself can lose its spring tension and cause the internal speaker to cut out. Naturally an external speaker will always work when this is the cause of the trouble.

I reflowed those joints along that side of the 959 during tune-up, in preparation for installation in the truck, and it cured the "galaxy syndrome" in this instance. I installed the radio with some slightly thicker rubber washers to prevent pulling. Thanks @nomadradio for the insight into why this occurs. While looking at it, I noticed the side rails have quite a bit of flex to them, supporting your assertion.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.