• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959 NO AUDIO

topdogli22

Dec 13, 2010
Need Help!

Just picked up a 959 in a lot of CB stuff. Radio powers on and TX's , but no Audio at all. No static noise.., needle not moving, no PA. Almost hearing something from very loud locals but I would need a stethoscope on the speaker..lol Started changing some caps but some may have already been changed. Has writing under the lid that the adio chip was changed a few years back by a shop. They may have done a recap.

Any suggestions????

Usually, it is the older radios that benefit with replacing the caps.
Sure that the RF Gain is all of the way up?
Just had to say that.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the audio chip has failed again.

If not, then a shop would be the best place to take it; if it is going going to need thrashing to find the failed parts in the receive.

The S-meter does not show any movement while another radio is showing 9+ on ch6.
Before I order an audio IC id like to make sure it is receiving well. Bad diode maybe? Anyone have any experience with this model and which diodes could be the culprit???

I plugged my external speaker plug into my 959 a little too hard and at the wrong angle some time back. It resulted in no receive audio unless I had a external speaker plugged in. I remedied the problem by bending the radio's external speaker jack metal contacts more or less back into the proper alignment. I got sound again. I'll not do that anymore.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Found a bad cap at either C175 or C179. Bottem end of cap spilled its gutz. Replaced and still no audio......What else would be screwing with the receive showing no needle movement...

.Anybody have any TA7222P IC audio chips laying around????????

will see if the voltage chart will load here. ,you can check the voltages to see what is missing

Attachments

• 69610z board voltages.pdf
    938.2 KB · Views: 73
:mad:

Happy thanks giving !

An old thread. Well a Voltage chart. Ok.
Changed out AF to NTE 153, changed out audio ic, upgraded voltage regulator.

Tx with modulation.

No RX, No PA & talk back audio on internal or external speaker.

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks in advance.

73s John

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.