• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-959 Single mosfet version

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got a doosie this time, you all are gonna love this one, lol...

First off, I must mention the inside of the speaker cover is marked SRC (Snake Radio Customs) along with a date written in magic marker ink.

Second, the filter cap at the DC input (normally 1000uf 25v) was replaced for a 4700uf 35v. Why for a single final?

Third, someone installed a 10 turn clarifier control (hmmm...) in place of the factory clarifier control.

Fourth, and most important,
Channel 1 = 26.885
Channel 2 = 26.895
Channel 3 = 26.905
Channel 4 = 26.925
Channel 5 up to 11 is correct
Channel 12 = 27.025
Channel 13 = 27.035
Channel 14 = 27.045
Channel 15 = 27.055
Channel 16 = 27.075
Channel 17 = 27.085
Channel 18 = 27.175
Channel 19 = 27.185
Channel 20 = 27.205
Channel 21 = 27.215
Channel 22 = 27.225
Etc...
Channels 26 up to 34 go back to 27.205 up to 27.285
Channels 34 up to 40 are correct
None of the switches have any affect on the frequencies. All switches work their specified function.

It aligned great, no issues aligning it.
VCO adjusted to proper spec.
VCO Buffer aligned at max no problem.
PLL oscillators adjusted great.
Carrier oscillators aligned fine.
RF Stage adjusted fine.
Bias adjusted fine.

Receives great on all the goofed up frequencies, transmits great on all the goofed frequencies.

Transmit:
AM = deadkeys 4w, swings to 16w peak, swings up to 4.5w in average.
Sideband = 16w.

All functions work as they should with no issues.

Just the goofed up frequency pool is what's the problem.

Anyone ever ran into this?

This radio was given to me in exchange for radio work on another radio. It's my personal radio. Would like to throw this one in my truck.

Any advice on the goofed up frequencies?

Hmmm,
Not sure if this could be the issue, but the clarifier unlock mod doesn't look right.

R113 has been completely removed (wrong),
D68 removed (that's right),
Jumper wire inserted from JP200 over to JP195, which is also connected to the blue wire (connector with 3 wires, blue/white/black) which goes to one of the outer pins of the 10 turn clarifier control (wrong according to mod).
R153 has been changed to a 15k ohm, should be 2.7k right?

I know the mod to unlock the clarifier on this radio calls for what Handy Andy had pointed out in a previous post of someone else's, in the below photo.

Although I see no JP287, but instead it's marked JP190 at that same location where JP287 is suppose to be.

Gonna straighten this mess out then get back with y'all.

Attachments

• 98VHP+Clarifier+Modification.jpg
    98VHP+Clarifier+Modification.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is what someone did:
Removed R113 completely,
Removed D68 completely,
Replaced R153 from 2.7k to 15k,
Ran jumper from J14 (+8v pin) over to J9 (F1).

Does this mod work?

Attachments

• dx959_clarifier-mod.gif
    dx959_clarifier-mod.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 1
Neil's right. The binary arithmetic points you to the cause of this fault. Channels 1 through 4 are exactly 8 channels low. This tells us that pin 13 should be high (8 Volts). Holding that pin low when it should be high, however it happens, is the same as subtracting eight channels from the radio's frequency.

More than one way for this to happen, but a missing connection between the channel selector and pin 13 is where I would look first.

There may be an issue with the clarifier circuit, but it won't push the radio eight channels off frequency. That fault will be in the binary arithmetic feeding into the PLL from the channel selector.

Reactions: Hawkeye351
Thank you Nomad.
Here is my board layout around the clarifier circuit and I drew the mod of what they did.

I will do a PLL chart in the morning, eyes are hurting, lol...

Attachments

• screengrab-20230616-012043~2.jpg
    screengrab-20230616-012043~2.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 6
Got it!!!!

Pin 13 on the PLL had only 0.24v all the time, no matter what channel I flipped to. Traced pin 13 down to the red wire on J33. Only 0.24v on that red wire at J33. Followed that red wire up to the channel selector where it plugs in. Still only 0.24v on that red wire. Removed that plug with the red wire off the channel board, plugged it back in. BAM, everything came back to normal. Guess it was just a dirty pin feeding 8v to that red wire, which ran from the channel board down to J33 and fed 8v into pin 13 of the PLL.

Since the frequencies are straightened out, should I redo the clarifier circuit or just leave it be?

I'll say it again, you guys are awesome, thank you, thank you, thank you. Y'alls time spent helping me is highly appreciated. Wish there was some way I could repay you guys.

Credit goes to NZ8N and Nomad.

what i do with the 959 is the p5-p6 channel mod and I drill a cpl holes in the top case right above the counter. i get the small toggles and the body of it sneaks in between the PCB and bezel.

Reactions: Hawkeye351

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.