• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy dx 959 sound trouble

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
So I got a new galaxy dx 959 with a 3 wire echo board and open clarifier. After about 5-10 minutes with the radio on the sound gets quiet. The roger beep through the talk back even gets quiet.Sometimes if I tap the radio the sound will get loud again. Seems like after the radio has been on for a while it doesn't get quiet. I was wondering is this normal in the warm up phase? I was thinking it might be a bad solder joint somewhere but I couldn't see any obvious bad solder spots. Anybody experience this before? Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

So I got a new galaxy dx 959 with a 3 wire echo board and open clarifier. After about 5-10 minutes with the radio on the sound gets quiet. The roger beep through the talk back even gets quiet.Sometimes if I tap the radio the sound will get loud again. Seems like after the radio has been on for a while it doesn't get quiet. I was wondering is this normal in the warm up phase? I was thinking it might be a bad solder joint somewhere but I couldn't see any obvious bad solder spots. Anybody experience this before? Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Figured it out! Bad solder joint, some L bracket on the side. See pic. Hope this helps someone.20160720_143846.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307
Sound cut out again :mad:. Found a couple more questionable solder joints and re soldered. And same thing, sound gets quiet and I hit the side a couple times and sound is back. I like to flip between AM and lsb. Starting to get real agitating.... still technically under warranty.

Sound cut out again :mad:. Found a couple more questionable solder joints and re soldered. And same thing, sound gets quiet and I hit the side a couple times and sound is back. I like to flip between AM and lsb. Starting to get real agitating.... still technically under warranty.
Good morning,heck if it's still under warranty I would be sending it back and asking for either my money back or have it fixed or a new radio,just my to cent's,73's and God Bless!!

Take off the top/bottom covers. When sound dies out, take a plastic alignment tool or the eraser end of a pencil and tap at various places on the circuit boards. If you find an area that reacts (sound comes up), press down in that area and look for wires that move in the solder, broken traces and anything else that looks not quite right. Shut the radio off while you make them look quite right and recheck.

SOMETHING about the Carbon Center of a Pencil tells me to NEVER use a Pencil... No the Rubber Eraser doesn't Protect You as Electricity can Jump a Gap...
Wood is also Porous and can absorb Moisture too... Water and Electricity don't Mix...

Plastic Rod, Maybe... A Glass Drink Stirrer, Yes... A Pencil, NO...

And don't Wear your Dangling Crucifix on a Chain even if you tuck it into your Shirt...
YES, it HAS happened... A fellow's Wife found her Husband hunched over his Amplifier with a Burn Mark around his Neck from the Chain... She is now a Widow...

Last edited:
Well figured it out! Called galaxy and after a few days of trouble shooting ( they really seem like they rather not have you send it in) we got it figured out. It was a big electrolytic capasitor by the audio amp. No obvious bad soder joints but when I wiggled components by the audio amp I determined it would cut in and out when I wiggled the big electrolytic capasitor. So I soldered the the points up and it works like a dream now!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.