• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959

As usual someone makes a bad purchase and posts here so someone can justify the buy. Good luck with the 959 on SSB. You'll get tired of people telling you you're off frequency.

Havent purchased anything yet. Was looking for peoples input on the radio

Between the Galaxy 959 and a Grant XL, go with the Grant. You won't be sorry. The Galaxy radios drift something awful. You can pick up a decent Grant XL already modded up (channels, unlocked clarifier, etc.) for the same money as a Galaxy 959.

Just my .02 worth.

~Cheers~

I made a similar mistake years ago. Bought the 959DX for the mobile and the 2547DX for the base. (Same board). Oddest thing in the world, you could be on frequency one day, then the next day be transmitting on 27.384. Or 27.387. You just never knew, and it didn't relate to warming up. Room temps in the house were constant, and I had probs with the base unit just the same as the mobile.

I later got a little smarter thanks to some good advice from folks on forums. I picked up a clean Grant XL with a Digi-scan for 125 bucks. It had already been tuned up correctly, and still works great to this day. I have since added another Grant XL to the collection, and a Cobra 139XLR base. None of the problems that I had with the Galaxy rigs. I have a friend that I talk to regularly on .385 lsb and he uses an Icom 746Pro, and he always tells me that I am dead on frequency with the Grants and Cobra. And they don't drift, either.

I am new to this forum, but I can tell you these guys aren't pulling your chain. Best of luck with your decision!

RT307

I would get the grant, but I do have a Galaxy Saturn, that just went through a PLL, VCO, and transmit alighnment, I didn't do the recieve yet. And as stated, it was way out. Once warmed up from the long evening, it is on freq and sounds great. for reference, when cold, it is 38.374, after a bit it goes to 38.375.

My 148GTL side mic in my truck is always spot on.

my .02:D

I have a 959 I think its a good radio for what it is, but I wouldn't buy one if I was going to use it or SSB operation. Its ok for the occasional SSB, I use mine for an AM mobile radio.

For a SSB radio I look for:

6 digit freq counter
CPU controlled PLL
Unlocked Clarifier
Variable Power

I would save a few more bucks and get a Magnum 257 and be done with it! Its a excellent for both AM and SSB.

Even properly tuned the Galaxy is a fair Am rig at best, as has been said, SSB is unstable on a good day. And I am surprised that nobody has said anything about the receiver, the poor channel rejection and all that noise on the low end.

If a Grant or a 148 is tuned correctly it sounds better and would be stable on SSB. Also, the channel rejection is much better, and the receiver doesn't create its own hash...

Jim

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.