• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-99v2 with amp or RCI -2970n2??

Let me do this another way . . .

If I were to run a linear amp (I have some amps, but never use them BTW), I would want to do it in the way that creates as little damage to the airwaves and my equipment at the same time.

First off, I wouldn't use an export radio with that linear on the CB band. Why? Because they give off harmonics that a CB won't do - even before it is amplified. So, I would choose a CB radio.

But there is more. Using that linear means that it is a balancing act of power output from the radio to the amp that is best not to violate. Too much power into the linear (read: 'modulation mods'), and the linear heats up excessively - for one. This will happen the moment that some shop gets the radio and peaks and tunes the radio that also creates different yet harmful harmonics. Keep in mind, that whatever you give the linear, it will amplify. Be it a clean signal, or one that is tainted with noise, distortion, and harmonics. The amp is a slave.

Many shops are just concerned with impressing the customer with as big numbers as they can get out of it. This is the very shop that you don't want working on your radio. Why? Not only will the radio/amp be throwing out garbage, but the life of your amp will be measured in weeks instead of years.

After the CB radio and amp have been adjusted together properly, I would add a low pass filter too, just to ensure that the last remaining junk isn't getting put on the airwaves. It might be your amp and radio; but it is also the same pond where I and others swim and play.

It's your money/radio.

Do you have a suggestion for a cheap low pass filter for the setup??

I was thinking DTB, Bells, Bobs, or Smokin Joe's (Mike) for either the 2950/70, or 99v.. as I would like it done when purchased and not sent back and forth.

A low pass filter isn't going to change either export radio for the better.
You have asked me to make a choice between a giant douche or a $#!+ sandwich; won't happen.

Mike's CB and Bells are two choices that I know of that I would trust the work from. Dunno if they sell amps. Everyone else is into big numbers and not the way to go. But either shop won't be able to fix the harmonics problem that an export radio has inherently built into it. Nature of the beast.

A low pass filter isn't going to change either export radio for the better.
You have asked me to make a choice between a giant douche or a $#!+ sandwich; won't happen.

Mike's CB and Bells are two choices that I know of that I would trust the work from. Dunno if they sell amps. Everyone else is into big numbers and not the way to go. But either shop won't be able to fix the harmonics problem that an export radio has inherently built into it. Nature of the beast.

Is the Mike's your referencing from Smoking Joes (442built) and has Youtube channel or other Mike?

Both Bells and Smokin Joe's sells the radios as well.

I would just tell Bells to not max the radio out on TX side..

A 2970N2 has 200w of output power. There is NO WAY that will ever work with a TS350. NO chance. Don't care how much you turn it down. A Galaxy DX99v2 is best suited for a TS500. No; I wouldn NOT run a 2970N2 with a TS500 either.
But this is all moot, just because of the kind of harmonics that come out of either one of these radios regardless of who tunes them or how well.
It is a dead parrot; a dead issue. If it was me, I wouldn't bother with an export radio; other than running it w/o a linear/run it barefoot.

Just watched a viddy from Smokin' Joe's. Seems to be conscientious and has a grip on what he is doing. Has the right gear and knows how to use it. Not interested in big numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
A 2970N2 has 200w of output power. There is NO WAY that will ever work with a TS350. NO chance. Don't care how much you turn it down. A Galaxy DX99v2 is best suited for a TS500. No; I wouldn NOT run a 2970N2 with a TS500 either.
But this is all moot, just because of the kind of harmonics that come out of either one of these radios regardless of who tunes them or how well.
It is a dead parrot; a dead issue. If it was me, I wouldn't bother with an export radio; other than running it w/o a linear/run it barefoot.

Just watched a viddy from Smokin' Joe's. Seems to be conscientious and has a grip on what he is doing. Has the right gear and knows how to use it. Not interested in big numbers.

I would never attempt to run a 2970n2 either with the TS.. I said I would sell the TS350 if I ended up with the 2970n2..

The 99v2 if adjusted down should only push about 20w pep on swing.. and turned up should swing to 30-35w per Bells CB videos..

Im waiting to see if someone posts numbrts for thr 2950 and 99v2 on low 2w deadkey and what the swing would be on both when set at 2w dk.

For the OPs sake, I hope the below is useful coincidence.

(I’ll do a thread on this truck in the near future; rarely at home, and pressed for time & energy while on the road).

Had to run against 45-mph crosswinds late last night to get from the Rio Grande Valley after loading, and to be first in line at Clays Radio Shop in San Antonio this morning.

Had Robert put the 5’ Skipshooter on the Rig Expert and we discussed how to run coax & power in this 579 Peterbilt (if theres someone better at installations, I’d like to meet them).

Also did a take-off of the exterior door mirrors so his machine shop can make stainless antenna mounts as he now has for other trucks (no aftermarket support otherwise).

The “portable base station” was toted inside to make true the statement that two heads are better than one . . time to look over the logic. And re-check operation of transceiver & amplifier.

GALAXY 99v2

RM ITALY KL7505v

From the Techs notes:

Transceiver Carrier Level

Low 2.25w & Modulates 15w
High 15w & Modulates 30w

Receiver Sensitivity 2.5 vpp with 2dB injected.

Amplifier Carrier Level
(with 2.25w)

Low 40w & modulates 180w
Medium 80W & modulates 225w
High 125W & modulates 250W

(As before, I don’t have a dog in “the fight”; the gentlemanly disagreements).

Attachments

• 6E55913D-1451-4C2C-9908-0BDB58911C02.jpeg
    6E55913D-1451-4C2C-9908-0BDB58911C02.jpeg
    593.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 7CD9E493-F806-45FF-AA61-57D3EA919FFA.jpeg
    7CD9E493-F806-45FF-AA61-57D3EA919FFA.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Do you have a suggestion for a cheap low pass filter for the setup??

I was thinking DTB, Bells, Bobs, or Smokin Joe's (Mike) for either the 2950/70, or 99v.. as I would like it done when purchased and not sent back and forth.

I’ve planned to talk to ARRAY DESIGNS about a custom 11-meter bandpass filter that would accommodate the above rig based on another thread at this site (It won’t be “cheap” given prices on standard items; or even if they’ll do it).

Whether I keep this radio or get another, the amp is “enough”. Can I get an effective 11-meter bandpass filter that will accommodate up to 300W (will be the question).

I’ve a bandpass meter already mounted in lower case for fitment purposes (from pic), but that entire assemblage is zip-tied in Version 1.0.

I added the pics so you could see the size of a 7405/7505. It’s also heavy (relatively) compared to the radio & tuner, as well needing a deeper space.

Still have room for an antenna switch and dummy load to go in. Nothing like getting carried away, ha!

For the OPs sake, I hope the below is useful coincidence.

(I’ll do a thread on this truck in the near future; rarely at home, and pressed for time & energy while on the road).

Had to run against 45-mph crosswinds late last night to get from the Rio Grande Valley after loading, and to be first in line at Clays Radio Shop in San Antonio this morning.

Had Robert put the 5’ Skipshooter on the Rig Expert and we discussed how to run coax & power in this 579 Peterbilt (if theres someone better at installations, I’d like to meet them).

Also did a take-off of the exterior door mirrors so his machine shop can make stainless antenna mounts as he now has for other trucks (no aftermarket support otherwise).

The “portable base station” was toted inside to make true the statement that two heads are better than one . . time to look over the logic. And re-check operation of transceiver & amplifier.

GALAXY 99v2

RM ITALY KL7505v

From the Techs notes:

Transceiver Carrier Level

Low 2.25w & Modulates 15w
High 15w & Modulates 30w

Receiver Sensitivity 2.5 vpp with 2dB injected.

Amplifier Carrier Level
(with 2.25w)

Low 40w & modulates 180w
Medium 80W & modulates 225w
High 125W & modulates 250W

(As before, I don’t have a dog in “the fight”; the gentlemanly disagreements).

73’s my friend, question I have kind of similar set up with a 7505v but mine is getting overheated protection very fast (blinking TX LED) and it’s not even hot. Have you had that problem before I just got mine a week ago I have been doing that since I put it on, I thought it was a defective but the company sent me another one and is doing the same thing. I don’t know what to do send both back or keep one and try to solve the problem. When it works I got very good reports.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.