• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX Meter Off After Tuneup..

MrClean

Mar 11, 2016
PA
I got a DX-929 tuned/peaked up from CB world (wearecb) before they shipped it.

The internal meter is reading higher than it should for deadkey.

I get a 6w on lowest setting with knob and over 18w on 3/4 setting.

6DK.jpg

and the 18+w deadkey with the power knob turned 3/4 way up..

18DK.jpg

After checking with my cheap external Astatic PDC1 10/100 & SWR meter I am getting 3-4W on low power and 9-10 on 3/4 knob..

I am leaving it 1/4 knob and about 6w (according to the PDC1 meter) for now... CB Worlds tech is gone till Monday.. I left Chad a few emails.

I noticed on my friends DX-949 that just came in with my 929 that his does the same thing (more or less). The internal meter on his is 6W on low and over 18W on 3/4 knob..

Can anyone whom tunes these for a living please reply..

I just need to know if after normal peak/tune if the internal meters are off on the power/watt setting on deadkey??

Like I said on the other thread, you are using to evaluate the power readings using an antenna. That isn't the right way to be sure just how far off or close it may be.

Chances are, it is off.
Do you have the equipment to deal with fixing it?
If not; then send it to a tech - or risk your radio to surely fail.

Reactions: Lil'Yeshua
Like I said on the other thread, you are using to evaluate the power readings using an antenna. That isn't the right way to be sure just how far off or close it may be.

Chances are, it is off.
Do you have the equipment to deal with fixing it?
If not; then send it to a tech - or risk your radio to surely fail.

What I heard was that CB world is supposedly a reputable company.. I don't see how they would possibly mis-tune 2 radios.. (or numerous others over the years and no ones said anything online at all about it????)

The only tools I have are my little external meter and basic tools..

Can I just readjust the VR14 using the external power meter and antenna for a HIGH of 6w and then adjust VR18 for a LOW of 1w and not touch anything else..

And does anyone have a 'non-fondled' new Galaxy that can check there power/watt meter on both deadkeys and verify..

You need more than what you have to fix the radio Mr. Clean. Using your antenna is not going to cut it. And you'll also need to do a possible full alignment of the radio after the power settings have been restored to proper levels. Send it to a good tech like DTB Radio, or Dougs custom CB shop. Or send it back to the people you got it from and ask that it be properly tuned and aligned for a single final radio. 18w DK is going to melt that radio real real fast!! I'd set the RF power all the way down if I were you. JMHO. Keep the DK to as near 4w or so as possible. And the swing to about 4 times the DK.
A dummy load might help as well with your issues as how do you know for 100% that your antenna has a perfect match of
R=50
X=0
Swr= 1.0:1.
At min. with a dummy load you'll know if the VSWR is off. And depending on how bad it's off, this will skew readings from the radio.

Reactions: Robb
I have never put much faith in the meter on any radio being accurate, run a nice external meter and be done. I know you had the radio "tuned", they probably never re-calibrated the meter which most shops won't do on a quick peak-n-tune.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I have never put much faith in the meter on any radio being accurate, run a nice external meter and be done. I know you had the radio "tuned", they probably never re-calibrated the meter which most shops won't do on a quick peak-n-tune.

I don't see how a large shop (that do lots of radios) would skip checking there equipment. and I left DTB a message and since I'm in PA that made the most sense.

What stinks also is my new co-workers 949 from CB world (which he is picking up tomorrow from me) is acting the same way on the front meter.. :/

DTB got back to me. Said send it in and they would check it free minus the shipping back to me. Any work needed would then be billed. I will keep the DK set at 5-6 till I have funds to send in.

Thanks to all.

CB World got back to me.

Tech said internal meter would not be correct. Said its set per external meter on there bench.

I was offered free check by them if I want to send it in for double check.

Reactions: Robb
Yes dummy load and meter. My serial number is only 6 digits and is 00068X. How would I know if I have MOSFET finals? CB tricks says 9xxxxxxx and higher..

Yes. Malaysia made. Guessing newer model. Thank you.

I opted to follow cbtricks and turned up power knob on front on channel 19 with my 1.1 swr and adjusted VR9 myself to read 10w on front meter. Then backed off front power to lowest power and got my 3.5w. So the front meter now matches the readings from the other days testing. I set to 5-6w deadkey using power knob and will leave it be.

The VR9 only adjusts RF meter according to CB tricks and since the DK numbers matched my findings I am happy with results. Had 3 contacts tonight at 11-15 miles also.

Thank you all

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.