• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX2517 Ten Meters

Highlander_821

Amour d'Ecosse
Apr 2, 2005
Central IL
I have a DX2517 that has been converted to 11 meters, and aligned and tuned by SS8541 electronics. I've had a ball with this radio, talked to people in all continents and well over 100 countries, as well as most US states.

But now I'd like to put it back on Ten Meters, but not the 28.745-29.645, or whatever it comes as from the factory. I'd like to be able to cover 28.300- 29.699, or something close to that. I realize this would be simplex only, no repeaters. I can get it to work now on 28.315, but the power is somewhat reduced, probably because Richard aligned it for 11 meters. So I'd like to get it re-configured for Ten meters, but coverage to differ from the factory 10 meter settings. Possible?

PS. Don't hate on this radio just because it is Galaxy--it is a pretty good SSB radio, I actually like the RX in it better than my FT847, believe it or not. The audio sounds better, and I get less fatigued listening to weak signals on it. I had the 2sc2999 mod and the shotky diode mods done, and this thing has a really low noise floor, but pulls in weak ones better than the Yaesu. The Yaesu can hear em, but not any better and it is tiresome to listen to for any length of time.

Yes,It can be done, Hey Jeff,

I'm thinking that's not the right info for the DX2517 since it's only a 6 band model. Here's the same answer I gave this guy over at CBT for the same question.

Leave the radio jumpers as they are.
Replace the 14.010mhz mixer crystal with a 15.360mhz crystal
This will give you 26.965mhz thru 29.655mhz. (that's as close to .699 as you can get)
The radio will need a full alignment after the mixer crystal change.
Call Richard and tell him what you'd like to do.
Ask him to call me and I'll ship him the mixer crystal out at no charge.

-Ray
Galaxy Radios

I am sure Richard is more that qualified to do the job.
Much Thanks to Bennie Of CBTricks for providing the info on the Ten/FM conversion(y)

Jeff

Last edited:
Yes,It can be done, change the 13.560MHz crystal (X2 on the Main PCB) to a 14.460MHz crystal, and do a complete Alignment of the radio for ten meters.
This will give you :
Band A = 26.065 - 26.505
Band B = 26.515 - 26.955
Band C = 26.965 - 27.405
Band D = 27.415 - 27.855
Band E = 27.865 - 28.305
Band F = 28.315 - 28.755
Band G = 28.765 - 29.205
Band H = 29.215 - 29.655

I am sure Richard is more that qualified to do the job.
Much Thanks to Bennie Of CBTricks for providing the info on the Ten/FM conversion(y)

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I'm thinking that's not the right info for the DX2517 since it's only a 6 band model. Here's the same answer I gave this guy over at CBT for the same question.

Leave the radio jumpers as they are.
Replace the 14.010mhz mixer crystal with a 15.360mhz crystal
This will give you 26.965mhz thru 29.655mhz. (that's as close to .699 as you can get)
The radio will need a full alignment after the mixer crystal change.
Call Richard and tell him what you'd like to do.
Ask him to call me and I'll ship him the mixer crystal out at no charge.

-Ray
Galaxy Radios

Ray,

I'm curious...since the other info was wrong on CBTricks, do you know if the alignment procedure listed there for this radio is correct?

Ray,

I'm curious...since the other info was wrong on CBTricks, do you know if the alignment procedure listed there for this radio is correct?

ASW pasted the crystal change for the DX99V which has eight bands. Far as I know all the alignment information for the DX2517 is correct. If you have a specific question on some area I be happy to double check.

Some alignments will differ between the DX2517 with transistors and the DX2517 with mosfets.

Update--- My 2517 is back! Coverage is now 26.965 to 29.665. Power is 40+ watts through 11 meters and 30-35 watts on 10 meters. Richard said this was just a limitation of this chassis---the radio IS aligned properly, and is receiving great across both bands.

Modulation is as hot as ever, no problem reaching 100 percent on AM. On SSB I still get the same "Sounds like an expensive HF rig!" reports with the Astatic 10DA-L microphone.

I love it! I won't miss the below 26.965 coverage at all, and anyway I have three radios here that can still go down there if I were to take a notion....

8541 Electronics has come through with another splendid result with this radio for me, I couldn't be more pleased with their work and service.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.