• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX2547

Jackeeson

Oct 22, 2019
This is an update on the Galaxy DX 2547 meter light problem. If interested, you can read the thread here: Link. It had the title of “Hello” so I’m posting the update here under Galaxy for more relevance.

The meter light problem was solved by replacing the LED pcb board with yet another board—the original! You may recall from the thread that since the light “wasn’t working” (the actual lamp tested out okay), and after some testing, I decided to just replace the $50 LED pcb board rather than remove & test all the transistors, etc. I received a “new” board from a popular company that I sometimes order parts--but probably will no longer.

This particular radio powers on with a push button and to turn on the lights, you must activate a separate switch, if the light was off. I didn’t use this radio for a few years, as I have others with different controls/switches.

The main point: there was nothing wrong with the original board, I just forgot to turn on the dimmer switch that activates the lamp! The new “replacement” board was a dud! That’s when the light actually would no longer work. I can now join the Dumba$$ Club.

I didn’t find this out until I decided to exchange the board with the original (after becoming totally disgusted testing everything in the circuit and then some). Guess what? The light worked fine. The replacement board the XXX company sent me was a dud, but I had it a while before I installed it, thus no returns…or did someone else “return” it, and was it “inadvertently” (or not) sent to me?

Later, after examining the “new” board, I discovered that some of the terminals were also reversed! Even after I corrected the terminals, the board still failed to work. Then I remembered reading about some companies buying parts from some countries that were clones/knock-offs/not to spec parts. Supposedly more prevalent with radio parts (some proprietary) that are no longer used in newer models or have been discontinued/unavailable.

Moral of the story: don’t screw-up like I did and forget to turn on the switch; don’t jump the gun and replace parts without thoroughly/systematically testing; and be careful where you order your replacement parts. In defense of the company, when selling thousands of parts, a few duds no doubt exist as well as unscrupulous people returning damaged parts. Lessons learned.

I did replace the original bulb with a nice bright LED!

Reactions: TM86

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio