• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX99V Frequency Counter shows 24.xxx

Derrick Walls

Jul 19, 2016
I'm working on a galaxy dx99v and the frequency counter show 24.xxx and doe not change by switching the band switch. I have tried frequency board and 10.240 crystal. checked for cold solder joints and found none. Voltage at TP2 not present. Guys if you have any ideas please share. At this point I'm stumped....

Replace diode D36 located on the frequency band board. Diode D36 is a 1N4148 and should be replaced with a 1N4000 series such as 1N4003 for better stability.

Symptom Constantly blows out the 10.240MHz
Cure Replace C82

Symptom No TX and no RX, frequency counter displays 24.XXXMHz
Cure Replace 10.240MHz crystal

Symptom On Models with frequency counters, Frequency display reads 24.xxxmhz and radio has no RX or TX.
Cure Replace X1 the 10.240mhz crystal. Sometimes the leads of the crystal just need to be resoldered on the pc board.

Reactions: WR3143
As a guess, either the PLL isn't getting voltage feed from the regulator; or the PLL itself is fried. I'd check the voltage regulator for proper output.

The 10.240 reference osc is a very simple circuit with nothing that can go wrong there (other than xtal itself, or a bad solder joint), so I doubt that is the problem.

It still might not be fried. Remember, that if the ins and outs of the PLL are open, the chain is broken and nothing between the PLL, VCO, or loop osc is going to read correctly. But you still should be able to see the ref osc output making freq. Better to make sure that everything is intact and locking.

The 4 bit chips can also fail and leave the pll unlocked. You have your work cut out for you. Been there . . .

Let us know how you do.

Last edited:
have you checked for bad caps or resisters in line with the PLL and the 10.240 crystal. a few years ago I had one do this and it had a bad cap shorted to ground and killed the 10.240 freq . in fact Ray was still with Galaxy when I had the problem. that tells you how long ago it has been , about 8 or 9 years. Ray had me to pull legs of a cap one at a time to find the problem. just look at the schematic for parts in line with the 10.240 crystal and leg 3 of ic5.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
OLD post but Mines has similar issue except its starts working after its on for 10 or 20 minutes Had it to a shop 2 times says its fixed but always comes back...... Is this a classic sign of a bad solder joint?

OLD post but Mines has similar issue except its starts working after its on for 10 or 20 minutes Had it to a shop 2 times says its fixed but always comes back...... Is this a classic sign of a bad solder joint?
I have one doing this randomly then it will work fine again for a while
It seems to be unlocking for sure not just the counter rolling cause if someone is in the middle of talking they are just instantly gone. Any ideas or just start with the crystal?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.