• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Radios

Audio Man

Jan 13, 2008
I have a couple Galaxy radios here the rx fine, but there seems to be no static in the receive as all the others. Is this a common problem? I have to turn the volume almost all the way up to hear the static, but i receive other stations fine.
Is there a simple fix for this? maybe a part that needs to be replaced? The meter needle seems to be really stiff to move, not free as it should. if that makes sense.

check your coax real good including your ends and connections and your Antenna also. Sounds like to me your problem is in that area somewhere.

Cotton Mouth.

if you havent owned these from new, I might suggest that the rec diodes were replaced with the WRONG Schottkey diodes. The same thing will happen is you use 1n4001 diodes instead of the right ones, which i believe are 1n64 but dont quote me on that.

Does it matter which Shottky 1N6263 piece you get? Aren't some brands much better than others? I have 50-60 2999E tramsistors and not enough diodes to match. Need to get some more. Where do you all get them and for how much apiece? Most of the places I looked online wanted RFQ. I just need 100 or so high quality doides for right now...

As far as the recieve problem with the radio, you can try another method. If you have a mobile radio in a car, have someone drive away and keep in contact with you for radio checks. If it is really quiet on your Rx, maybe you are just one of the lucky ones with no major static generating devices close by.

You can always try another piece of coax or another antenna.
Two cents worth...

Last edited:
I have a couple Galaxy radios here the rx fine, but there seems to be no static in the receive as all the others. Is this a common problem? I have to turn the volume almost all the way up to hear the static, but i receive other stations fine.
Is there a simple fix for this? maybe a part that needs to be replaced? The meter needle seems to be really stiff to move, not free as it should. if that makes sense.

Have you checked the internal VR for the squelch threshold?

Have you checked the internal VR for the squelch threshold?

Yes sir,
It has static, just not near the static that the other radios have here on the base. and the needle seems to be really stiff to move, it will move up and slam back very fast, i also put a new meter in the radios.

So you can hear stations fine, yet the is little background noise or "static". Could I buy your radio please mister?;)

Sounds like a Want-Feature to me and not a problem.

So you can hear stations fine, yet the is little background noise or "static". Could I buy your radio please mister?;)

Sounds like a Want-Feature to me and not a problem.

HAHAHA,
Well look, it may just be the way these 2 are, i honestly don't know. Just seems to me that there is something wrong because i can have a radio right next to it here and flip the switch and i got the normal static that 99% of radios have, Now its in there but really low, and the needle is really stiff to move, it does not move freely at all, so i thought that the 2 may be related?? I don't know.

Yeah there probably is something going on. If a station is putting say, a S 7 signal on you on the "noisy" radio and little signal on the Galaxy, then something is amiss.

I assume you have the RF Gain turned all the way up if the Galaxy's have an RF Gain on them?

And has the radios been worked on or modified by anyone that you know of? Maybe a previous owner had the RF Gain circuit turned down inside the radio to make it quieter. I've done that on all the RCI 2950's I've had.

Good luck

DO an alignment of the receive as per the service manual. If you don't have the gear to do that kind of work, then it may time to take it to a tech that does.

I'm kinda suspicious about that stiff meter movement - too. You might be seeing something that a tech may only be able to determine on a O-scope.

I had a Cobra 29 that had a pretty 'fuzzy' receive. So I went thru the tuning procedure w/o a sig/gen or an O-scope as the service manual (CBTricks) specifies. I just keyed up another radio in the same room with me - that had a dummy load attached - as the source of RF for the 29. I used the 29's S-meter and my ear as the guage and went thru six tuning coils for max output and clarity (the ones specified for Rx sensitivity and clarity) for the tune.

Works a LOT better than it did before, actually came out pretty well. But I don't recommend doing it that way. I did it that way because there isn't a tech for many miles around here. If/when I get a scope, sig/gen, and reference freq counter, I will give it another shot. But as it stands, it sounds pretty good. Not a recommendation; just a thought.

That stiff meter is a clue to another problem - Hmmm...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.