• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Repair

KyPoohCDX618

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 12, 2005
Sadieville Ky
I need to get my Galaxy Saturn worked on.. who's a good tech to send it too? My normal goto guy wont touch em - haha

Might be something simple I can fix - the Freq Display isnt displaying properly. It did this once before but stopped on its own. I need to get this fixed, as I really like the radio - and having it get a once over wont be a bad idea!

If the display is erratic, replace D603 in the frequency counter module with an NTE-5000A or equivelant 2.4 volt 1/2 watt or 1 watt zener diode. The diode is located next to IC-609 (LM7808), which is a voltage regulator. That will resolve the erratic counter problem.

GRTS (Ray) is the galaxy tech on the forums here....he can tell you all about Galaxy stuff, but I do know that he would agree with me on this problem....I have worked on Galaxy Saturns before that had the same problem... and D603 is the problem diode. Replace it, and it will work again.

-Exit

Ill get ahold of him and see about sending my Galaxy in ... While I could replace the defective part easily - I would still like the radio to be gone thru and given a heath check.

Ill have to see who I know is going up to PA that I can get to drop it off.. A few months ago I would have been going up there weekly!! Doh!!

Well once again the problem has sorted itself out. However after digging out my galaxy book..it recomends replacing the 1000uf 10v Capacitor along the the Zener .. I think the Cap is bad, after a few hours of use, it goes back to a normal operation, so im thinking that it recharges.

Ive been in touch with DTB - got a 959 I think im gonna send up.

What kind of problem are you having? Are the numbers flickering or is the counter not reading correctly? Segments missing, etc? Probably the easiest thing to do is to find another counter board if all the LED's are ok. An internet search also can give you some ideas where the problem might be.

BC

Its not reading correctly, my guess is the C610 Capacitor needs replacing. My Galaxy book suggests replacing it when you replace D603 zener diode ... While I'm in there Ill repalce em both - Send it up to dtb to go thru later on, one radio at a time

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.