• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn base - finals

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi guys , I'm picking up a galaxy saturn base and it apparently has no output. I'm guessing at this point there's a good chance it's the output transistor. Can someone tell me what replacement part would work and if I should also change the driver while at it?
Thanks in advance!

Same deal here. I came across a very nice Saturn base. The old man had three of them and recently passed away. I got two of them, one working one not. I sold the working one and kept the one with no output. I removed the covers to have a look. Immediately noticed that someone had done a poor job at soldering the driver and final transistors. It had for the driver a NEC C130 the lettering is worn off thats all i can see for numbers on it. For the two finals it had two Toshiba C2312. I ordered new Toshiba C2312s and was advised OEM driver was Toshiba C2166. This radio powers and receives fine just no output. Starting with the driver i did my best to clean up the board and solder it in correctly, at one point i saw 7 watts on the meter, so I moved on to replacing the two finals. Being very careful and using a magnifying glass I installed them and it appeared that each leg of all the transistors was secure and not floating into each other. I re soldered the 3 resistors??....I dont know if they are diaodes or what but they jump from the board to one leg of each transistor. Everything looked good, I repower radio immediately blows 2 amp internal fuse at power supply. Im like ok, let me start undoing what i just did. I narrowed it down two one of the two finals if i pulled a leg of it off the board the radio would power and run without blowing fuses. Also there is a Mica looking mirror board that sits directly in front of the finals. It is secured to the main board by three small little metal clips, it sets on the main board and has three contact points. I dont know what its called obviously,. but something is not right in that area because i secured it one way it poped the same 2 amp fuse at the internal transformer again. At this point i just pulled the mica looking board out removed every transistor I put in. It powers up and receives fine, I dont want to ruin the radio. Can anyone advise me as to how I might get this one up and running again. I have new transistors on the way, can anybody help me. Its a really nice radio, its just old and has had some unskilled hands in it. Thank-You for reading.
VE3NST

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.