• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn frequency problem

ebayguy

Dak IV & Galaxy DX-88HL
Oct 18, 2011
Potomac, MD
Hey guys, I know, I am starting to be a pain in the donkey. :unsure: But, I have a little problem, I think. Well, before I get to that, let me just give everyone an update on my Dak IX. :bdh:

I soldered the coax shielding, and fixed a few cold solder joints, and a wire that had broken off a trace, etc... I fired it up, and it didn't smoke. :p: Anyway, I hooked it up to my base antenna, where the SWR's are at 1/1.2 match on channel 19. I turned to channel 19, and keyed up for a radio check. :pop::pop::pop: IT TRANSMITTED! :love: But, at 2:00 AM in my area, I didn't think I would get a response. I tried it again, the same thing, something popped, and it stopped transmitting. It wasn't a loud pop, just like a fuse. Anyway, I have most, if not all the original parts coming from a guy on eBay.

In a Galaxy, far far away...:pop:

I turn it on, and have it set on C band, and AM channel 19. I get 26.170 on the FC. After playing with the band switch, and CW/FM/AM/USB/LSB switch for a minute or so, it does eventually go to 27.185. This happens EVERY time I turn on the radio. What could cause this? Is it an easy/cheap fix, or should I sell it, or trade it for a good base amp for my Dak? :wub::headbang:wub::headbang:wub::headbang
Thanks.

Simple answer is that you live in MD and on a cold morning these Galaxy radios close, close by will drift like a boat on SSB and AM. They are well-known for it. After it had a chance to warm up for ~20 minutes or so, it might get a bit more stable. A warm environment will help considerably more.

My bedroom is about 74 degrees, and even if it is on for and hour, if I shut it off for more than 30 seconds, it happens. It shouldn't drift that much, should it?

It may just be the frequency counter taking a few minutes to warm up. I am repairing a Galaxy DX-88HL and it's a little flaky for the first few minutes even the tx and rx freqs are right on while this is happening.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.