• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn (non Turbo) ????

ebayguy

Dak IV & Galaxy DX-88HL
Oct 18, 2011
Potomac, MD
Does anyone know what the stock final(s) are, in a non-Turbo Saturn? My Saturn gets out OK, BUT... I hooked up my CX-3300HP w/ dual finals with a 10A PS, and it wipes the floor with my poor little(big) Saturn. It has been converted to 11 meter (ssshhhh), and it gets good feedback, but today when the skip noise rolled in, I barely got over it locally. I hook up my Connex, (newer radio w/ rebel faceplate stock), I was heard a lot louder, and with better signal, let alone better modulation. I can understand the modulation part, that could be tech related. But the signal strength? That would be output power. Correct? They both could be tech related, but I would like to know what finals are in the radio stock. That way, I will know if the radio has just had a standard tune or not.

NOW FOR THE OOOPS! I installed an M80 Modulator in the Saturn:headbang, about a week or so ago. Before the M80, I HAD to use a power mic. :sneaky2: After the M80, I can use my Astatic Stars-N-Stripes mic. :wub: IMO! I don't like power mics. :thumbdown: I have heard mixed reviews about the M80 Modulators, and others like it. I have also read that I could have built it myself with a resistor and a cap. I paid $7 shipped!

ANYONE CARE TO GIVE ME TWO PENNIES?:pop:

I have bought two EKL ERF-2030 transistors. They are 25W-40W PEP. There have been reports of higher, but EKL datasheet reads 25-40W PEP(depending on surrounding circuitry). I have also heard the power supplies in these Galaxy(RCI) base radios are not too stable. Once the power supply problems are fixed, could a ERF-2030 driver, be used with an ERF-7530? :confused: I would also have to upgrade the boards power transistors, to handle the power too. (I am assuming!)

I KNOW! I KNOW! STOP TYPING ALREADY!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang Well, if you wouldn't mind, shoot me a PM, and I will give you my cell #, or gimme yours. I have too many questions because I am just starting back into the hobby, and want to try my copper thumb.:bdh:

Thanks.
Lenny

Some operators will go to great lengths to transmit well. Most using beam antennas, 1,000 watts of power, nice mic setups, and even 11m converted Ham radios. But all of that means nothing if the ionospheric/skip conditions aren't working in one's favor. Either they are - or they aren't. A few piddly watts from either of your radios doesn't mean squat. Who told you that it did? Perhaps with some local operator when you talk locally. Talking farther and better takes 'some times to get to know the ropes'.

Stop worrying about one radio that puts out only a little by getting a small 200 watt amp. I do not nor would I expect to be the 'top dog' on ch 6 or ch 38 LSB. Any ch/freq that is very busy is going to be tough to break thru. Just have fun with it . . .

Last edited:
A few piddly watts form either of your radios doesn't mean squat. Who told you that it did? Perhaps with some local operator when you talk locally.

Not trying to sound ignorant, but I do know that.

I was saying earlier, that the local guys, on our local channel, could hear me a lot better on the Connex vs. the Saturn. I do have two small amps, a 200W Blue Streak, with 2 MRF455'S, and a Boomer Deluxe 400HD. I also have a cheap White Tornado 225. How do they measure them? MICROWATTS! It has 2 60W finals in it. :eek: To me, that's only 120W max, on a good day. It juat might hit 225W for a half second at 24V, right before it starts to blow smoke. I think the person who rated them was blowing something... Up their nose! And it wasn't smoke.:whistle:

Anyway, enough of me bad mouthing the creator of such fine craftsmanship. :oops:

I talk locally and some of the guys on our channel live upwards of 60+ miles.:sad: When a bat flies across the sky, at just the right altitude when I key up, my signal can ride on its wings for a few seconds, and they MIGHT be able to hear me on a clear night.:cry::cry::cry: OK, OK, So its not that bad. I get approximately 62 miles from my shack to theirs.:eek: I know that I shouldn't complain, considering we are both barefoot.:w00t:(don't have a big enough PS yet, but working on it.) BUT... I have been a firm believer that "JUST BARELY ENOUGH, JUST WON'T CUT IT" ^can not stand it^

Basically, I want as much "SAFE" power, as I can get. I do understand that I am working with a rig that is older, BUT... When you buy something older, you also find people that have stripped it down, and rebuilt it better than when it came out of the box. SAFELY !!!:redface:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.