• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Saturn receive...

I noticed that before I replaced TR52 and C193, if I touched the front face chassis edge with my arm and also grabbed the PL259 of my coax, I would feel a DC tingle in my finger and arm. After I replaced those two parts, I don't get that tingle any more. That's an improvement.

And for reference, I'm on the East Coast in NC, and at the moment I can hear (weak) that momo on channel 38 LSB doing that "one, one, one, one, one,....etc") with no meter movement (by the sound of it, I would say it should show about 1 s-unit on my meter) with volume at the 10 o'clock position. On channel 39 LSB, I can hear two skip stations talking but getting no meter movement (by their sounds, I would guess I should see about 5 s-units at most) with volume at the 10 o'clock position (comfortably). AM channel 6 I'm getting around 5 to 7 s-units with volume at the 9 o'clock position (comfortably), any other radio of the same type I get around 7 to 9 s-units with volume at same spot (comfortably). Static level on AM during the day stays around 4 s-units, SSB static is there, but no meter movement (by the sound of it, I would say I should see about 1 s-unit of static on SSB. Any other radio of the same type, on AM during the day stays around 6 s-units, SSB stays around 1 s-unit.

At night it drops to as low as 1 s-unit on AM and nothing on SSB (lite static sound, but present, still no meter movement). Any other radio of the same type at night on AM drops to as low as 3 s-units, SSB drops to no meter indication but does fluctuate with conditions.

This radio, the volume has to come up to the 10 o'clock (maybe 10:30) position on SSB to hear the static and stations softly but still comfortably. On AM the volume has to be at the 9 o'clock position to be comfortable to listen to.
Any other radio, both modes are comfortable to listen to with volume at the 9 o'clock position.

Maybe it's working the best it's gonna get, I may be chasing my tail around for nothing, lol.

What do you guys think?
Everything on the radio works as it should, beautifully with no issues, except SSB receive is quieter than AM receive, but present with little meter movement.

Should I stop where I'm at and get it back to the owner, or keep at it?

I know TR18 is one of the FETs you're referring, but which is the other FET?

TR18 voltages are correct according to voltage charts. And it's placed in the same orientation all these export radios have TR18 placed, backwards from what the silkscreen on the board shows.
I thought it was the newer style board, sorry.

Attachments

• 2980WX schematic PG.1_copy.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Hawkeye351
It's all good shadetree, I get mixed up on these radios and posts at times myself.

I think I got it.
Replaced C37 (I missed that one earlier when recapping), touched up alignment. I now have meter movement on SSB as well, when there are stations rolling in. Gonna leave it as is.

So, to clarify all that's been done to this radio:

All 10v, 16v and 25v caps have been replaced, except the 50v caps.
FL1 455 Filter replaced.
FL3 SSB filter replaced.
TR52 replaced.
L8 replaced.
L13 replaced.
L14 replaced.
10.240mhz crystal replaced.
10.695mhz crystal replaced.
C67 replaced.
D23 replaced.
C89 replaced.
All transistor voltages checked.
All IC voltages checked.
Replaced bad final.
Realigned entire radio.
All frequencies dead on the money.
All oscillators adjust smoothly.

Done with this thang, whew....
Now to get started on this Connex 4800-DXL.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.