• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy Starlight Display Whine

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
The friends are keeping me busy lookin' for fixes for 'em.....ah that's what friends are for (y)

Has Galaxy DX 98VHP with Starlight Display. Has developed like a 100hz tone in it that is air-audible on his end and it comes through on transmit. Face lights are on a dimmer and the tone reduces and goes away as the dimmer is turned down and then off....but he's gotta have front panel illumination ya know. So anyone know of a fix for this whine-tone coming off the Starlight display?

As always....indebted for any help!! (y)

interview.gif

Hi Rob, thanks for chiming in. Well it's not normal but is a malfunction that does occur in these displays. Hasn't happened to my 94HP, it is silent. And so we look for a fix!

Well; this problem has but three fixes...
The first, is to disable it - which means that one cannot even read the channels.
The second, is to find a place to put a cap in to silence the oscillations - 'shotgun' it.
The third -and the real solution- is to find out which part of thiis circuit is creating this oscillation and re-tune the circuit accordingly.

One would think that Galaxy has seen this problem and has a service bullitin for it.
In the mean time; I put the OmegaForce back in to service. My Galaxy 95t2 also needs to have the modulation limiter put back in place. I cannot hook up my D-104/TUP9 w/o it feeding back all of the time - no matter how I set the radio or mic settings. I imagine that this oscillation in the 'starlight' circuit is also to blame.

When I hook up a stock mic - I don't have this problem.
But who wants to use a stock mic?!?
Not me...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.