• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Garbled receive in my kenwood ts820s

reddog45

Jun 13, 2011
I turned my 820 on tonight and to my surprise the receive sounds garbled up and like your not really on the right frequency. Any ideas on this? This happens on all bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

45, North Florida

Hi RED DOG ; Not sure what band your on , but i,ve noticed up here the last few days the bands seem to be effected by on going metour showers later in the evening ? Strange distorted garble along with distorted audio by times simulare to solar flares just a little more irratic ? Some i talk with on 11mtr have also noticed the same , maybe not your issue but its always best to rule all else out before investing alot of time & $$ if its nothing we can controll ? later Bob.

Yea the if. Is centered. I'm leaning towards the ssb filter now but I didn't know they could just go bad. The problem is on all bands...10 meter all the way down to the bottom.

45, North Florida

Hi RED DOG ; Not sure what band your on , but i,ve noticed up here the last few days the bands seem to be effected by on going metour showers later in the evening ? Strange distorted garble along with distorted audio by times simulare to solar flares just a little more irratic ? Some i talk with on 11mtr have also noticed the same , maybe not your issue but its always best to rule all else out before investing alot of time & $$ if its nothing we can controll ? later Bob.

Meteor showers happen day or night we just can't see them in the daytime so "later in the evening" is invalid. They also only peak for a couple hours with greatly diminished numbers either side of peak. The ion trails they create will not effect CB or HF very at if all. VHF and UHF,especially 6m and 2m will reflect off them but only in very short bursts consisting of only a word or two lasting only a few seconds at most in general on 2m. 6m lasts a bit longer. I suspect what you are hearing is more related to auroral activity. That can cause issues throughout the upper HF spectrum and VHF/UHF.

Meteor showers happen day or night we just can't see them in the daytime so "later in the evening" is invalid. They also only peak for a couple hours with greatly diminished numbers either side of peak. The ion trails they create will not effect CB or HF very at if all. VHF and UHF,especially 6m and 2m will reflect off them but only in very short bursts consisting of only a word or two lasting only a few seconds at most in general on 2m. 6m lasts a bit longer. I suspect what you are hearing is more related to auroral activity. That can cause issues throughout the upper HF spectrum and VHF/UHF.

I second that. Btw,how are the aurora borialus? Looking up north?:p

SSB/AM RX audio can also be distorted by the noise blanker circuits....
ALL of them can cause distortion:headbang...
Most certainly on strong local/DX signals...there are some that are OK (tunable) but they can still wreck a receivers audio and adjacent channel rejection in a heart beat...
I never run mine and if I do only when absolutely necessary to hear a specific station and it is tuned to minimum to hear that station...
Turn it off and Hear the difference...
DSP is another story...but not the case on the TS-820...
The crystal filter could be an issue but that would be rare occurance...
All the Best
BJ

I can across something that I remember reading about for a symtom such as what you are describing. I cannot remember at the moment where I had read it. Do a search for garbled receive on the kenwoods and I think there is a fix for that.

If come across it again I will post a link here.

Good luck

Problem solved...I was about to change the if board when I saw one of the connectors slid almost al the way of a connection. I plugged it back in and bang. There was the problem. Glad it was this simple. Thanks forth suggestions guys...I owe you all one for the help.

45, North Florida

Problem solved...I was about to change the if board when I saw one of the connectors slid almost al the way of a connection. I plugged it back in and bang. There was the problem. Glad it was this simple. Thanks forth suggestions guys...I owe you all one for the help.
PLL going out of lock on these rigs will cause the symptoms you describe. Loose harness connectors or intermittent Molexes (which join the VCO and PLL boards together) account for about 90% of '820 PLL problems.

In the case of the Molex connectors, DeOxIt can be used with varying degrees of success but at times the only real fix is to remove, replace and re-solder the connectors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.