• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GE 3-5875A Superbase Power on the clock and no power on the radio

CU3AK

May 25, 2022
Hi all,

I pick up my old superbase from the shelf. The clock works fine but the is tis the only section of the radio that works. Any idea pse.
TNX 73
Jaime Eloy
CU3AK

Looking at the schematic.... F1 looks like a 3A, F2 looks like a 1/2A.
Are they good?
Also, if you have a 13.8v (12v) power supply... will it power up with that ?

Last edited:
All the 3 fuses are OK. With DC voltage 13.8V I have no power on the clock and radio. Tnx for helping.

Attachments

• IMG_20220525_163559.jpg
    IMG_20220525_163559.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
All the 3 fuses are OK. With DC voltage 13.8V I have no power on the clock and radio. Tnx for helping.
For clarification.... feeding 13.8vdc in I would not expect you to have the clock as it is a separate winding off of the AC transformer.

But......

(also clarifying here) if you attach 13.8 vdc power supply... and then REMOVE the AC cord from the jack on the radio...(because there is a switch inside that jack! You must remove the AC cord for the DC to get in).......

If ALL of that is right..... the radio STILL doesn't come on?

If so....
I would check the diode (D24, but I doubt this because you say the fuses are good. If the reverse protection diode is shorted, usually a fuse blows)
Maybe check those 2 coils (L8 and CH to make sure that they aren't opened up)

Do you have a DMM or something to measure voltage in this area?
If you do, that and this schematic snippet could help speed this up just walking through the circuit looking for voltage and noting where it drops out.

GE_3-5875A_Power.png

Attachments

• GE_3-5875A_Power.png
    GE_3-5875A_Power.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Additional very important question......
Do the meter lights come on? You say the radio doesn't power up... but I really need to distinguish THIS! Do those light bulbs come on or not?
This is important because those two bulbs are powered IMMEDIATELY after that coil marked 'CH' on the schematic snippet. So if they aren't powering up.... then DC just isn't making it in for some reason.

Hi,
I was away from home, that why my delay returning to you. I redid some welds on the board and voilá with AC power the radio turn ON. But with DC the radio doesn't turn ON. Thanks for your help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated