• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GE Superbase common bugs.

jetman

Feb 6, 2013
Hello,
I was able to locate a Superbase on eBay that was for parts. Hooked it up and got a popping crackly every time I played with the volume. Cleaned that VR. Then seemed to be ok. Did the initial alignment of her and now she's tx'ing poor and I lost a lot of receive sensitivity. BN and ANL really chop out a lot of signal that I want to come in. It's also hit or miss on average RX strength also.
Are there any known bugs is this radio? Other than the split pc boards being a pain in the @$$!

Clean ALL switches and pots. Pay particular attention to the A/B antenna switch.
Check dual board interconnectors (white plugs) but be careful with them.

Cold solder joints is always a thing to check for - even if they just look iffy. Hit all the solder joints if you have the time.

I don't like old electrolytic caps either. Some old and not-so-old radios may need them checked and replaced; been my experience . . .

Ok, you said, popping, cleaned the VR, everything ok.......good so far right?
Next,
Did the initial alignment of her and now she's tx'ing poor and I lost a lot of receive sensitivity.
Ok, so did it get worse after the alignment?
What kind of test equiptment did you use, and did you have the service manual?

jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.