• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Gel Cell with power supply

Cat Daddy

Sep 21, 2005
Dogtown
Anyone know if a gel cell can be used in series with a power supply?
One cat told me it could but I don't remember how ---- series or in parallel. And I think he said a 35 amp pwr supply would be copasetic.
My MF600 qso's have been reported as maybe having a power or voltage problem....Even with a relatively new 33 amp/hour gel cell which will conservatively give me about 25 to 30 minutes talk time at about 400 watts----at 12 volts.

You will overcharge the battery because a powersupply
will never stop trying to charge the battery when it is on.

Most powersupplies will trip the protection even when
hooked to a battery when they exceed their rated output.

I think?

Actually most times the battery never comes up to full charge.Once the battery voltage equals the power supply voltage current flow into the battery will stop.Most power supplies are 13.8 volts and to fully charge a "12 volt" battery you need about 14.2-14.4 volts.Most 12 volt batteries can be left on a float charge of 13.8 volts indefinately but will only attain about 80% of full capacity.

Ooops my bad.I was talking about lead acid wet cells such as marine type deep dischage types.Didn't see the gel cell part.I agree constant charge at 13.8 or more can kill a gel cell.Also the max charge current should not exceed 1/10 of the amp hr rating,ie. a 10 amp/hr.gel cell should not be charged at a rate of any more than 1 amp max.

Ow yeah alot of people dont understand thats why battery post corrode its also not good to inhale becouse its hydrogen and it messes with your nerves and other things or so Im told.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.